Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > create windows in ADEXL through ocean script

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

create windows in ADEXL through ocean script 

Last post Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:32 AM by Andrew Beckett. 3 replies.
Started by Joe Black 21 Sep 2012 12:52 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1227 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:52 AM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 30 2012
    • Posts 10
    • Points 155
    create windows in ADEXL through ocean script Reply

Hi,

I have an ocean script file added into the output setup in ADEXL. It works fine (e.g. collect data, save data into a file), but at the end of the ocean scrip, I tried to create a window to plot some waveforms (which were already saved into the output file). The problem is

1. the window never showed up

2. although the simulaiton is done (I can read the spectre.out to confirm) and the first part of the ocean script is run through (I can find the saved data file), the status always shows "running "

I use newWindow() to create windows.

I am using ic615.isr12.

Thanks,

ps. my script is sort of like this

filename = "myPath"

selectResults('tran)

abc = VT("/abc")

ocnPrint(?output filename abc....)

newWindow()

plot(abc)

Joe

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Sep 21 2012 5:35 AM

Re: create windows in ADEXL through ocean script Reply

The OCEAN scripts are evaluated in the background "ICRP" processes (which may run on the local machine or on a remote machine depending on your set up). The idea is that ADE XL can parallelize the netlisting, simulation, and post-processing.

Because the background processes are run in "-nograph" mode, any plot() calls you make will display a window invisibly.

If instead you use the axlAddOutputs() call on the first line of your script to state what outputs your script will produce, and then use axlOutputResult() to output each result, you will get additional (derived) outputs appearing in the ADE XL output pane, and you can then plot these after the simulations have finished.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:17 AM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 30 2012
    • Posts 10
    • Points 155

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for introducing the background.

If I understand correctly, your suggested command (axlAddOutputs) adds signals into the adexl outputs pane, but not plotted automatically.

Here is what I want:
    After simulation is done, create multiple windows then assign titles and plot multiple waves on each window.

The particular simulation has huge amount of data and I prefer the plotting is done by itself, instead of I manually plot them (and wait for a long time). For example, the simulation is done in the early morning and I hope the plotting is done before I come to office.

by the way, why the status is "running" even it is done. is it suspended (or waiting) for some feedback from the newWindow() call to continue?

Thanks,

Joe

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:32 AM

You should be able to have signals produced by the OCEAN script which are plotted automatically.

You cannot using plotting functions within the OCEAN measurement script in ADE XL, because it will try to plot them in the background process. I suspect that something in  your script is raising some kind of dialog and because it is waiting for a user to interact with the form, it is blocking and thinks that the simulation is still running - you can't of course interact with it because the background process is in "nograph" mode.

So as I said, you cannot plot using an OCEAN measurement script.

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Joe Black at 21 Sep 2012 12:52 AM. Topic has 3 replies.