Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > OrCAD 16.2 Capture.exe application error. Application was unable to start...

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

OrCAD 16.2 Capture.exe application error. Application was unable to start... 

Last post Fri, Aug 31 2012 12:32 AM by Ejlersen. 8 replies.
Started by xpressmicro 21 Aug 2012 09:58 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 4794 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:58 AM

OrCAD 16.2 Capture.exe application error. Application was unable to start... Reply

We have OrCAD 16.2 running on W7 64bit.  We're running as an administrator with UAC off.  It seems to work fine but we can't double click on files to open them.  We have to use the file open menu.

Here is the error that we get when we double click on a .dsn file:

Capture.exe - application error
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000003b). Click OK to close the application.

I know there is a way to fix it as support helped me solve the same issue a few years ago on another PC.  Unfortunately I can't remember what we did and our support contract is expired at the moment.  Thanks

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 6:59 AM

Re: OrCAD 16.2 Capture.exe application error. Application was unable to start... Reply

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this??  Thanks

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 8:45 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Re: OrCAD 16.2 Capture.exe application error. Application was unable to start... Reply
    Windows Vista / 7 file associations are a minefield, try a web search and see how many "solutions" get listed. You could try the Cadence SPB Switch Release, either from the Start menu, or tools\bin\switchversion.exe within the installation. Use the File Association button, pick the association for OPJ / DSN / OLB entries in turn and select Add / Update to activate the File Association. Version 16.2 of the Cadence SPB / OrCAD tools were never officially supported on Windows 7.
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:57 AM

Thanks for the tip.  I tried that but it didn't help.  It seems the files are associated correctly as capture.exe tries to open but gives the above error.  I think it has soemthing to do with Win7 64 bit.  

• Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:06 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 95
    • Points 4,920
    Re: OrCAD 16.2 Capture.exe application error. Application was unable to start... Answer Reply

Can you try and move the Cadence paths to the front of search order in the Windows PATH Environmental Variable.

PATH = %CDSROOT%\openaccess\bin\win32\opt;%CDSROOT%\tools\capture;%CDSROOT%\tools\pspice'.....etc.

Hope this helps
    Mike Catrambone
    Plexus Engineering Solutions

• Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:33 AM

Wow, that was it.  I didn't even think to try that because I had already edited the path file.  Installing Mentor Graphics causes an orcad license error and my instructions were to place orcad entries after windows stuff which fixed the license issue.  I also had an extra path= in front accidentally from my first edit which probably wasn't helping things.Thanks

• Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:14 PM

• Ejlersen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • Aalborg, Copenhagen
    • Posts 556
    • Points 9,795

Hi

mingling with paths is a minefield, usually best left alone. I would recommend moving to Capture 16.5 - an endless list of improvements and long time requests have been fixed in 16.5. On top of that stability + speed has improved dramatically, you should never experience a program crash. If so, Cadence is committed to fixing these.

I do know that file format has changed from 16.2 to 16.3 due to a number of new objects and capabilities, but they are supported due to long time requests for more pictyre formats, embedded objects (OLE), mixed busses through "Net Groups" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwR5MDN51J8&feature=player_embedded#at=18) etc.

Best regards

Ole

Best regards Ole
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:27 PM

Hi Ole,

I'm in IT but I've discussed the newer version with the engineer several times.  We actually own the rights to 16.5 but there are issues preventing us from using it. 

1)  16.2 was the last version to include layout program which the engineer requires.
     2)  The only way to use both is with the "switch release" license feature and we found this very annoying so we didn't even install 16.5. This is a disappointment as licensing should be in place to prevent stealing, not burden legit users
    3)  We have years of work created with the old version and the files are not compatible with the new version
     4) Engineer would have to learn new software

We were really disappointed in the lack of file compatibility.  As a comparison we also use AutoDesk Inventor and can upgrade safely every year because the new version always works with the old file formats.

• Fri, Aug 31 2012 12:32 AM

• Ejlersen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • Aalborg, Copenhagen
    • Posts 556
    • Points 9,795

Hi

I understand your arguments, but I don't totally agree on them

1. When you install 16.5, just keep 16.2 installed. If you use Capture 16.5 to draw schematics you can still netlist to OrCAD Layout and there's no need for "Switch Release", it is only required for Capture since it depends on dlls etc.

2. Answered above

3. The files are automatically updated to the new format. So I would say they are compatible. A newer version of the tool can always open older files. If you open a file and want's to go back - you can always do a File-Save as and save in the old format. Also, it is the first time since 1997 that the file format has changed for Capture - I think that's a long time. Going forward from 16.5 I know that the strategy has changed for Capture so that the file format only will change if you use new types of database objects. Also, going back will strip anything not supported in the older formats.

4. Learning time of going from Capture 16.2 to Capture 16.5 is basically zero. They can use it as is without using the new stuff but just gain from improved stability and enhancements requested for years.

But the main point being is that a new version here also always can work on the old files, but true, they get updated to 16.3 format.  

Best regards

Ole

Best regards Ole
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by xpressmicro at 21 Aug 2012 09:58 AM. Topic has 8 replies.