Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > PCB Editor and "find"

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

PCB Editor and "find" 

Last post Fri, Jul 4 2014 12:16 PM by Quarkdog1. 36 replies.
Started by TH Designs 24 Jul 2012 09:00 AM. Topic has 36 replies and 8769 views
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jul 24 2012 9:00 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    PCB Editor and "find" Reply

When using the "find" feature, is there a way to have the screen go to the part you are looking for? Example, I'm zoomed in on a specific part of the board. I want to locate a part so I use the "find" feature and type in the reference desiginator. The screen remains where it is and I don't know if the part was found or not. Once I zoom out and start looking around, I see that the part that I was looking for was highlighted, but I was never taken to it. What use is the "find" feature if it does not take you to the part?

Example, in 15.7 hit "CTL-F" then type in the reference desiginator and return. You will be taken to that parts location.

Tom

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:09 AM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 191
    • Points 3,145
    Re: PCB Editor and "find" Reply

Tom Allegro does not go to the location as the older layout product did when using find its a "PITA"

After you do a find you got to go to the toolbar and choose the icon highlight selection,

I believe find just highlights things or objects only but it is not dynamic in that it has not got the ui hooks to actually pan or zoom to what you are looking for which is kind of sad imho for such a high end tool.

Thanks Scott

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:14 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Thanks Scott.

That is what I was afraid of. I used the find command extensively in 15.7 and before. Was a quick way to navigate across the board or to help find that "missing" part when doing placement.

Tom

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:25 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Scott,

I just noticed that when you execute the find command, the component you are looking for gets outlined in the "worldview" box in the lower right. If you click on the highlighted part in world view, you will be taken there on the main screen.

I can probably get used to this. It is just MORE KEY CLICKS! That is one thing that I'm getting really annoyed about is the amount of key clicks required to do simple things. Things that were done using one or two clicks in previous versions (16.2 and before) now require more clicks. That gets a little wearing on those of us that have been doing this for many years and our fingers and wrists get sore the more we click.................

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:30 AM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965

Just to interject,  there is a multi-click way to get back to prior version convenience -

After "finding" an object it is selected although off-screen.  You can then find the "zoom selection" toobar button or enter that command in the command window and it will take you to the item.

At least my v16.5 behaves that way - -

Roger

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
  • Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:49 AM

• Boma
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 4 2008
    • Posts 37
    • Points 515

It should zoom to the object by default, UNLESS you have the User Preferences switch under Ui > Zoom set to no_zoom_to_object.  I would check that first.

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:05 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. I was playing with this some more and followed the steps outlined in Kinzers book under finding parts and he shows a 5 click process.

1. Select "find"

2. Click "Symbols"

3. Click "More". This will open up a window with a list of components on the left.

4. Select the component you want to search for

5. Click "Apply"

This will find the part and pan the display to that part. Down side is it takes 5 clicks to find a part.

Now the interesting part, since I have done this method, now whenever I put a ref desiginator into the "find by name" box within the "find" sidebar, I get taken to that part. So click in the empty "find by name" box and hit enter and viola, you get taken to the part.

Why it didn't work that way this morning is a mystery to me.

Tom

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:07 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

That box is not checked so it should zoom. Reference my post in response to Rogers reply as I have found out some more...........

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:47 AM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965

Hmmm -  my "no_zoom" preferences box is unchecked as well, but my system refuses to automatically pan to the "find symbol" pane.  There must be another buried option somewhere that is mixing things up?

Roger

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:00 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Good luck sorting through the options. This program has more options then I'll ever use. I spend more time setting options and preferences then I do actually working. If they got rid of half of the options / settings, it would be much easier to use.

I'm still locked in the pre 16.3 world. I could do boards with my eyes closed in that package. Now I need two monitors, seven help screens, a forum and a book to be able to find a part..............

But I am making progress in learning the new package. My biggest problem has been thinking, "this is how I did it in 15.7" and expecting 16.5 to function the same way. I have changed my approach from "this is how I did it in 15.7" to "how do we do this in 16.5" and that has helped. 

Tom

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:10 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 191
    • Points 3,145

Roger I am looking for that buried option too : ), got to be something hidden somewhere...

Tom I tried this

1. Select "find"

2. Click "Symbols"

3. Click "More". This will open up a window with a list of components on the left.

4. Select the component you want to search for

5. Click "Apply"

That will find the symbol/part but the screen does not auto-pan to that location, I was un-aware of the world view window showing the found symbol and indeed the searched item is visible in world view but still nothing doing with auto panning to the component that I searched for..

Thanks Scott

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:38 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Well, once again what once worked does not now.

I just went back to go step by step to see if I left out any clues and wouldn't you know it, my screen will no longer pan to the "found" part. I can go to it from the world view window, but no longer from the "find" box. I swear I had it working, I was so happy, I did it many times just because I was proud of myself for figuring something out.

Very difficult to learn something when it keeps changing.......... Must be an option or preference setting I inadvertently changed.

I keep looking for the "uncomplicate" preference check box, but I can't find it.

Tom

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 1:34 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 191
    • Points 3,145

To follow up

It might be me, perhaps I am doing something wrong but I think there is a bug with this "Find" and display operation in 16.5

I loaded up a design, clicked the Option pane then entered R1 in the entry box to find R1 on my board and the screen did not jump to the R1 location after hitting the enter key.

In general edit Mode I right clicked "Super filter" and ticked Symbol/pin and then did a find and every time the screen auto pans to the location of the symbol. Even using the more option under find and selecting multiple symbols jumps the display to where they are.

None of this worked before I set the superfilter to symbol/pin, in other words if the superfilter is turned off in GE mode then find is not working correctly.

Would love to know if you guys are seeing the same thing at your end.

I dunno if this is how the find is meant to work or not, but the sucker is not working right for me without invoking the superfilter as a first step..

It's really wierd.. Dont make sense.

Thanks Scott

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 2:10 PM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965

Scott,

I'm seeing the same thing on my end.  The auto-zoom never works from the plain find tab settings.  After setting the super-filter for" symbols" though, it always auto-zooms to the component.

I tried this in all three edit modes. After realizing that changing edit modes also resets your super-filter to "off", I had to re-set it to "symbols" each time.   But using the super-filter mode, the auto-zoom to the "found" item seems to always work.  It never works on my systems without the super-filter setup.

Wouldn't want to call this a "bug" - just a "feature" (lol)

Roger

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 2:21 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 191
    • Points 3,145

LOL Roger, man I really need more features like that ha ha.

Hey I think the super filter can be about set to anything. It seems just turning it on is the key to the find operation working as we would expect. I will test a bit more and let you guys know.

Glad to see I had not lost my mind and you can replicate what I found..

Thanks Scott

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 24 Jul 2012 09:00 AM. Topic has 36 replies.