Home > Community > Forums > Logic Design > Any comments on the RC Physical Timing co-relation with EDI?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Any comments on the RC Physical Timing co-relation with EDI?  

Last post Wed, May 16 2012 3:13 AM by grasshopper. 1 replies.
Started by sureshm 08 May 2012 10:45 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 3815 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, May 8 2012 10:45 PM

• sureshm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 2 2011
    • Posts 21
    • Points 345
    Any comments on the RC Physical Timing co-relation with EDI? Reply

Dear All,

I have the database, which is physical optimized using the EDI flow & I want to further optimizations to reduce the slack, which i think is difficult in EDI,

I thought of picking up RTL physical flow for further optimization. I tried to compare the timing of the same design in RC Physical. But i see a humoungus difference between the EDI & RC-Physical (RC200 license).

In EDI WNS i noticed as -98ps.

In RC WNS is -735ps 

the load cap seen on the first few comparisions of Cells are as follows 6.1 fF & 2.5fF & the corresponding caps for the cells are 3.4 fF & 0.783fF.  

Realized that the Net Length Calculations  in EDI & RC are different. How to find out the Net Lengths in RC ? 

Thanks

suresh 

Thanks

suresh 

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, May 16 2012 3:13 AM

• grasshopper
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,205
    Re: Any comments on the RC Physical Timing co-relation with EDI? Reply

Hi Suresh,

there are indeed differences in the way RCP handles some of the nets and EDI. These differences are mostly related with signals such as reset, scan enable, high fanout nets, etc. In your case, the concerning aspect is that when things do not correlate, you would normally expect more optimism in synthesis and not the other way round as described in your example. The following report subcommands can provide you additional detail on the calculation

net_cap_calculation    - reports how the capacitance of the net is calculated
    net_delay_calculation  - reports how the net delay is calculated
    net_res_calculation    - reports how the resistance of the net is calculated
    nets                   - prints a nets report

The first thing I would look at are

(1) Version of RC
    (2) Version of EDI
    (3) Are u using same netlist ?
    (4) Are u using same SDC ?
    (5) Are all constraints accepted cleanly ?
    (6) Are u looking at same corner ?

Remember when using RCP, the GUI can be very handy. 

report timing -gui. . .

will show you the path in the GUI. Is it reasonably similar to what EDI is showing ? If not, why ?

Last but not least, be careful when you assumeRCP will reduce slack. RCP will determine the physical dependencies more accurately hence produce a better netlist (better util, TNS, power, etc.) That being said, if your critical path is a flop to a flop without logic in between, there is not much RCP can do to make that better. Hope this is useful.

regards,

gh-

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by sureshm at 08 May 2012 10:45 PM. Topic has 1 replies.