Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Modifying an extracted view for post layout simulation.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Modifying an extracted view for post layout simulation. 

Last post Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:41 AM by Andrew Beckett. 11 replies.
Started by ghrshomali 20 Feb 2012 08:31 PM. Topic has 11 replies and 4127 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 8:31 PM

• ghrshomali
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2012
    • Posts 8
    • Points 130
    Modifying an extracted view for post layout simulation. Reply

I am using IC 5.1.41 and Calibre 2010.4. I have an extracted view which is extracted by Calibre and I want to use it for post-layout simulation. When I modify the extracted view, Analog environment gives the following error:

ERROR: Netlister: the cellview **** was modified since last extraction.

Is there any way to modify an extracted view and use it for post layout simulation?

Thank you very much.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 1:50 AM

Re: Modifying an extracted view for post layout simulation. Reply

You can use:

dbSetConnCurrent(geGetEditCellView())

and then save it. Note that this should obviously be done with caution because you may be destroying the integrity of the connectivity when you are editing the extracted view.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 7:38 PM

• ghrshomali
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2012
    • Posts 8
    • Points 130

Thank you very much Andrew.

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 6:48 AM

• pirateKing08
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 16 2011
    • Cirencester, Gloucestershire
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

wow fantastic trick!

This saves editing the extracted netlist and doing a command line run simulation. Could this not be incorporated into the Parasitic Aware Design flow? With a health warning I agree. I found it useful as my layout effort is in a different time zone and when I found the extracted view was damaging my performance more than expected  I wanted to alter the design to make it more robust against the layout effects. A quick change to a device parameter within the extracted view then seeing if this has helped the extracted simulation result before issuing the change to layout is so useful

• Fri, Feb 1 2013 8:11 AM

The idea is that you ought to be able to use the parameterisation flow to (e.g. the Variables and Parameters) assistant to do these "what if" experiments, but currently it's not possible with extracted views. But it's being looked into...

Andrew.

• Mon, Feb 10 2014 8:06 AM

• Mazmaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 10 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hi Andrew,

what's the equivalent command in ic6?

Thank you.

• Mon, Feb 10 2014 8:13 AM

It's the same. dbSetConnCurrent(geGetEditCellView())

Andrew.

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:59 AM

Hi Andrew,

I would like to know if there is another ( new??) possibility to simulate an extracted view which was modified by me. In fact, I use Cadence 5 because I use an old version of PDK technology and, when I choose to delete some parasitics on the extracted view, a message appear which is :  "ERROR (OSSHNL): Error(s) found during netlisting. The netlist may be corrupt or may not be produced at all. To generate correct netlist, fix the errors and re-netlist." I 've seen on your previous topic that we can use the command "dbSetConnCurrent(geGetEditCellView())" to solve this probleme but it doesn't work in my case. Besides, It appear a new error message : " Message: *Error* dbSetConnCurrent: argument #1 should be a database object (type template = "d") at line 20 of file "*ciwInPort*" Entering new debug toplevel due to error ". So, I would like to know if I can fix that problem.

Regards

Kamel

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 12:23 PM

Kamel,

For the dbSetConnCurrent call I suggested to work, geGetEditCellView() needs to return the dbId of the cellView. This means that you must have the extracted view open, editable, and also the window must be the current window (select one of the pulldown menus in the window to force this). I suspect it isn't the current window, and so maybe geGetEditCellView() is returning nil.

Also bear in mind that removing the parasitics might leave the circuit open-circuit (if it is resistors that you have removed).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Apr 17 2014 7:24 AM

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. Now, I can simulate my modified extracted view without problems. In reality, the problem was that the extracted view was not opened/editable during the simulation.

Appreciate your help.

Regards

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Apr 29 2014 7:27 AM

• Mazmaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 10 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hi Andrew,

Do you know how to probe an extracted view after a simulation? 

I'm simulating a cct including an extracted sub-block.  Clearly, it's possible to probe the t op level schematic to look at signals going into and coming out of this sub-block. Is there an easy way of probing the inside of this block on the extracted view?

I have tried saving the nodes and paths I'm interested in on the schematic view of this sub-block, but don't seem to be able to select or save nodes and paths on the extracted view.

Could you help?

Thank you.

• Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:41 AM

You should be able to click on a shape in the extracted view when setting up outputs to be plotted or saved, and it will then prompt you for which net you wish to probe the voltages for, or which device terminal you wish to probe the currents of. I just tried this and it worked fine for me (extracted view generated using QRC, and I'm using IC615 or IC616).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ghrshomali at 20 Feb 2012 08:31 PM. Topic has 11 replies.