Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Using ocean ADEXL generate a csv output file

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Using ocean ADEXL generate a csv output file 

Last post Sun, Mar 24 2013 4:21 AM by Andrew Beckett. 7 replies.
Started by rkic 15 Dec 2011 03:54 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 4300 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:54 PM

• rkic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 31 2011
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115
    Using ocean ADEXL generate a csv output file Reply

In my ocean script, i am using the ADEXL ocnxlOutputSummary command to output the results of my simulation into a file 

I use the poport command to redirect my output.  The problem is that i cannot format the output into a comma separated file, nor am i able to filter only the output expressions i need into the file. This file has a log of the entire session

Is there a way to

1) save just the result of the simulations : output expressions , parameters and design variables associated with the test i need using a regular expression filter into a file

2) How can i get only ocnxlOutputSummary(?exprSummary t ?specSummary t ?detailed t ?wave nil) to output to a  file?

I wish the ocnxlOutputSummary command had a ?file "filename" field available.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Dec 19 2011 10:34 AM

• rkic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115
    Re: Using ocean ADEXL generate a csv output file Reply

Hi all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i cannot believe that a tool as powerful as ADEXL does not have a ocean command for writing the output to a csv file along with all the parameters. I am certain i am overlooking something.....

Best regards

Rohini

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 19 2011 12:55 PM

Rohini,

ocnxlOutputSummary() has a keyword argument ?fileName in IC615 ISR8 (6.1.5.500.8) (not in IC614 or earlier IC615 hotfix versions though). As a workaround you could use this (from the OCEAN class):

Currently the ocnxlOutputSummary does not support writing the summary
    information to a file. If you want to do this, the following wrapper around
    ocnxlOutputSummary may be used. This takes the same arguments as
    ocnxlOutputSummary, but adds an extra ?output argument to allow a file output
    handle to be specified:

procedure(TrOcnxlOutputSummary(@key (output poport) @rest args)
      let(((poport output))
        apply(’ocnxlOutputSummary args)
      )
    )

An example of using this:

prt=outfile("summaryReport.txt")
    TrOcnxlOutputSummary(?output prt ?exprSummary t ?detailed nil)
    close(prt)

There's also a function axlExportOutputView() which outputs CSV or HTML in IC615 ISR8 (I think we plan to add an ocnxl equivalent, but that hasn't happened yet; CCR 942599 is for that). Unfortunately you can't use this from OCEAN because the function currently assumes there's a GUI ready and initialized (so axlExportOutputView(ocnxlGetSession() "./output.csv" "Detail") won't work). That's what the CCR is for...

So if you want this, you can file a service request and request the same thing - and a duplicate can be filed. There is the axlReadResDB function which would allow you to read the results database and then iterate over it however you like and generate your own output, but probably the above is closer.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Dec 19 2011 1:38 PM

• rkic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Thanks so much Andrew! The procedure should solve my problem for now.

• Tue, Jan 3 2012 12:24 PM

• rkic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115
    The function worked very well. Now i have another question, my simulation run time for about 2700 simulations is really good with netbatch and multithreading options correctly set(about 15 mins). However it is taking about 35-40 minutes to write the results into a file. Is there a way that can be speeded up? I am using these options with the output summary. OcnxlOutputSummary(?exprSummary t ?detailed t ?wave nil) Setting ?detailed to nil will not work for me since i do need a detailed break-up of my simulation results and expression summary just prints only the min & max values . Thanks!
    Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jan 3 2012 12:32 PM

Please log a service request. Most likely some code optimisation is needed - so some detail on the volume of data will be needed here (ideally the adexl view so that this can be reproduced from the data you have) - but it almost certainly will need R&D work to improve things. Of course, you should try with IC615 latest ISR (ISR8) as there have been a number of optimisations (in different areas) recently so there's a possibility this has already been improved if you're not using the latest ISR.

Andrew
  • Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:32 PM

• Tajinder
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 11 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

I have a ocean script which looks like this:

ocnSetXLMode()

ocnxlTargetCellView(....)

ocnxlLoadSetupState( "ron" 'overwrite ?tests t ?vars t ?parameters t ?currentMode t

?runOptions t ?specs t ?corners nil ?modelGroups t

?extensions t ?relxanalysis nil )

set and enable corners. 

ocnxlRun( ?mode 'sweepsAndCorners ?nominalCornerEnabled nil ?allCornersEnabled t ?allSweepsEnabled t)

ocnxlOutputSummary(?exprSummary t ?specSummary t ?detailed t ?wave nil ?fileName "results.txt")

There were 1536 splits which ran in netbatch (our pool of machines) with 180 jobs in parallel. The job ran for 3 days and it finished simulation of all splits. But for some reason, the last split got hung in netbatch. So the ocean script never reached ocnxlOutputSummary. I can see spectre.out has completed successfully for all splits.

How do I execute ocnxlOutputSummary now? 

axlExportOutputView(ocnxlGetSession() "./output.csv" "Detail") didn't work as ocnxlGetSession()  returns nil.

I tried axlReadResDB. It returns the db object. However  don't know which commands to use to dump the csv file. 

(PS: My 2nd attempt to run simulation all over again failed. This time one of the job was hung during netlisting. This simulation is with parasitics, so takes longer.) 

I am using IC6.1.5.500.11

• Sun, Mar 24 2013 4:21 AM

I'm not sure how to do this off the top of my head. You can certainly open the ADE XL view and go to the history produced by the OCEAN run and do a RMB->View Results (in the history tab of the Data Assistant in ADE XL). 

However, if you want to do ocnxlOutputSummary on a previous (now closed) session, I'm not sure - so please contact customer support over this.

Regards,

Andrew.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by rkic at 15 Dec 2011 03:54 PM. Topic has 7 replies.