Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Create an assembly drawing - revised to create fab notes 11-9-11

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Create an assembly drawing - revised to create fab notes 11-9-11 

Last post Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:34 AM by budnoel. 19 replies.
Started by engineer66219 08 Nov 2011 01:07 PM. Topic has 19 replies and 9909 views
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:07 PM

Create an assembly drawing - revised to create fab notes 11-9-11 Reply
    Hello everyone, I am attempting to learn how to create assembly drawings from within pcb editor. I have searched the forums here and looked through the cadence software documents; however, I cannot find any information on how to create an assembly drawing. When I click on the assembly drawing command in pcb editor, I get an error stating variants.lst not found. Can someone explain how I can create an assembly drawing or please point me to some literature that will explain. Please keep in mind that I have no idea where to even start with this process, so please be as thorough as possible. Thank you,
    • Post Points: 50
  • Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:50 AM

• pcb viet nam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 24 2011
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
    • Posts 26
    • Points 340
    Re: Create an assembly drawing. Reply

Hi,
    1. For create assembly  drawing. In allegro you must visibility package geometry- assembly, refdes - assembly. Then sort refdes.
    2. Assembly drawing usualy must larger than dimension board outline. For scale dimension. In allegro you export ->.dxf . Then you use software AutoCad for scale (scale 2X, 3X...). Then import back allegro.
    3. In allegro -> Artwork ->create assembly drawing (add subclass drawing format ...)

For your reference !!!

LOOKING FOR PCB LAYOUT, OUTSOURCING PROVIDER ? == WWW.PCBVN.COM
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Nov 9 2011 1:51 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

For item 2, this step is unecessary. You can just create a drawing blank (for the border) at the scale you need, then let the printer plot the page to fit. If you really want to scale the assembly drawing up use the Manufacture - Drafting - Create Detail, set the scale in the options menu then draw a rectangle around the items you wish to scale up. The scaled detail will be on your mouse ready to place.

You can then either set the display to show the layers on/off that you need (to cover notes, details etc) then plot (or create an artwork)....

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Nov 9 2011 4:00 PM

I believe I have asked for the wrong report here I apologize. What I meant to ask for was how to export fab notes from within pcb editor. I believe this is possible. I thought I saw somewhere a screenshot of board house fab notes that were created from within allegro (and possibly even an assembly drawing). Can someone explain how to export fab notes which includes layer stackup and text.
    • Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Nov 9 2011 4:21 PM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 95
    • Points 4,920
    RE: Create an assembly drawing. Reply
    Hello,

Manufacturing > Variants > Create Assembly Drawing is used in conjunction with the Variant Editor used by Allegro Design Entry HDL (Variant Editor will generate the variants.dat file).   Basically, it generates the appropriate assembly views in Allegro based on the population status defined in Variant Editor and that is all it does. (effectively deleting the outlines of unpopulated components and pushes the view to a different subclass)

You can create your assembly drawings in Allegro and do not need to export it to an external CAD tool to generate them.  The only real issue is that to generate a Bottom Assembly drawing you will need to create a plot file and load it back into Allegro mirrored so you can see the assembly text right reading.    The main issue is the Bottom Assembly view can become out of date if you make placement changes and will have to regenerate the plot and load it back into Allegro mirrored.  Steve provided a suggestion about generated a scaled down format to maximum your assembly views which is a great tip – have used it myself.

By “create plot a plot file” I mean use File > Export > IPF that generates a Cadence intermediate plot file of what is displayed than it can be loaded back into Allegro at different a scale, different class/subclass or mirrored for assembly documentation.  Using Manufacturing > Dimension/Draft > Create Detail can do the job as well but the Text Strings will get exploded in the resulting Assembly view which will make any resulting PDF not text searchable.

Hope this helps – good luck.

Cheers,

Mike Catrambone
    Plexus Engineering Solutions

• Wed, Nov 9 2011 6:34 PM

This is what I am trying to do: [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B5JgivLpjAs] (not sure how to post a hyperlink on this forum) Do I have to have this software or is something similar to this available locally from within pcb editor?
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 1:24 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

There are certain things you can do inside PCB Editor but Downstream's Blueprint software is a great PCB Documentation tool that is dedicated to just creating documentation from ODB++ data. The variant.lst file can be generated from either Capture or HDL and will enable you to create variant assembly drawings but not to the extent that Blueprint does. I would recommend looking at the Blueprint software for documentation. It's effectively MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Paint and Autocad all rolled into one tool.  

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:17 AM

• pcb viet nam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 26
    • Points 340

steve:

For item 2, this step is unecessary. You can just create a drawing blank (for the border) at the scale you need, then let the printer plot the page to fit. If you really want to scale the assembly drawing up use the Manufacture - Drafting - Create Detail, set the scale in the options menu then draw a rectangle around the items you wish to scale up. The scaled detail will be on your mouse ready to place.

You can then either set the display to show the layers on/off that you need (to cover notes, details etc) then plot (or create an artwork)....

Hi Stive,

Thank you for recommend about function Create detail . please, let me ask you a question . In allegro , there are functions scale down ? . (sometime I need scale  logo down )

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:25 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

Unfortuantely there is no scale down feature but..... If you use the Logomaker skill tool written by Dave Elder and found on the PCB Skill forum you can import bmp and jpg into Allegro scaled to the size you want.

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:27 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

Sorry my mistake, you can enter half values into the create detail (so 0.5 as a value will scale down)....

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:03 AM

• pcb viet nam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 26
    • Points 340

steve:

Sorry my mistake, you can enter half values into the create detail (so 0.5 as a value will scale down)....

I was try . it is ok. thank you very much . But it is always create in class manufacturing. I want convert to class silkscreen - board geometry. This is not possible. Because it is different class. There are method to be able convert different class ?

• Fri, Nov 11 2011 1:06 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

Before you create the detail check the Options menu and change the active class / subclass to Board Geometry / Silkscreen Top. 

• Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:09 AM

• pcb viet nam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 26
    • Points 340

steve:

Before you create the detail check the Options menu and change the active class / subclass to Board Geometry / Silkscreen Top. 

As I know,  in allegro can't change different class. ( to be able change subclass in together class) . In this case, only change subclass on Manufacturing. I don't know change to class (Board geometry - silkscreen )

• Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:01 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

• Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:30 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 95
    • Points 4,920
    Re: Create an assembly drawing. pcb viet nam Reply

Steve, 

What version of Allegro are you using?  Create Detail has always only been able to place items on Manufacturing subclasses unless there is some new functionality available that I am not aware of.

pcb viet nam, 

Please read my previous post on this.  I would strongly recommend using File > Export > IPF to generate a plot file than load it into File > Import > IPF to loaded it back into Allegro vs. using Create Detail.   The very large downside of using Create Detail is it explodes everything into individual draws, including text, which means you will never be able to generate text searchable PDF files.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    Plexus Engineering Solutions

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
Started by engineer66219 at 08 Nov 2011 01:07 PM. Topic has 19 replies.