Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > ADE-GXL optimization issue

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

ADE-GXL optimization issue 

Last post Wed, Nov 23 2011 7:57 AM by Stephan. 3 replies.
Started by hmcheema 26 Oct 2011 06:09 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 4068 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:09 AM

• hmcheema
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 26 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65
    ADE-GXL optimization issue Reply

Hello,

I wish to run optimization for getting the maximum frequency tuning range of a VCO. This means that i need two frequencies corresponding to Vtune=0 V and Vtune=1.2V. (Vtune is the voltage applied to the varactors)

The optimization should then take the difference of the two frequencies and maximize it based on the parameters given.

To achieve this, i added two tests providing the two frequencies and naming them Freq0 and Freq1 but ADE-GXL does not allow to write an expression including outputs from two different tests.

Is there a way to write an expression like Freq1-Freq0 and then add a specification to maximize it? Please see attached screenshot for reference.  

Kind help from the Cadence officials will be appreciated. Any other method which i can do?

Screen-shot of ADE-GXL setup

Free Filehosting At image upload
    Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:14 AM

Re: ADE-GXL optimization issue Reply

What you need is the calcVal() function. You can use calcVal("outName" "testName"). The easiest way is to bring up the calculator, and then drag from the ADE XL output pane - pick the output you wish to reference - and then drag into the calculator input buffer. This will automatically generate the calcVal() expression for you. Then you can have an output on one of the two tests which references the other test; ADE XL/GXL will take care of ensuring that the tests are run in the right order so that it can do the calculation.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Sat, Nov 12 2011 12:34 AM

• hmcheema
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 26 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65

Thanks Andrew and Firas Barakat who sent a detailed email to answer the question. I am able to combine the two outputs of different tests in one expression.

Kind Regards.

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 7:57 AM

• Stephan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Feldkirchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 1
    • Points 10
    Comment from my side: CalcVal is a fine method but often even this can be easily avoided often by just rearranging the testbench a bit. In your case, you currently do e.g. two tests, each doing a pss with different vtune. A better setup would be to run a swept-pss just with vtune swept. In your case this method is faster and more reliable than calcVal. Bye Stephan
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by hmcheema at 26 Oct 2011 06:09 AM. Topic has 3 replies.