Home > Community > Forums > Logic Design > Instance limit for RTL compiler "L" version

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Instance limit for RTL compiler "L" version 

Last post Fri, Sep 2 2011 1:35 PM by Brandtechnik. 3 replies.
Started by Brandtechnik 01 Sep 2011 04:22 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 3822 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Sep 1 2011 4:22 PM

Instance limit for RTL compiler "L" version Reply

We have a design that is ~52K instances and needed to rent another license with our eda card for RTL compiler [10.1] to get through crunch time.   The description of the "L" version of the compiler says it will handle up to 100K mapped instances so I thought there would be plenty of headroom.  However, soon after the design was read in, RC reported that the mapped instance count had gone above 50000 and it stopped.  Anybody know if there is a switch I can flip to make it handle the advertised number of instances?  Here's the exact wording from the EdaOnTap description:

General Description: Encounter RTL Compiler L is a capacity limited version of Cadence's flagship synthesis product, Encounter RTL Compiler XL. RTL Compiler L contains all of the features of RTL Compiler XL and delivers the same industry-leading Quality of Silicon (QoS). The difference is that its capacity is limited to 100k mapped instances or 400k generic instances, delivering a lower price point for the Encounter RTL Compiler family. RTL Compiler L licenses can accumulate to increase capacity, and 4 of these accumulated enables an unlimited capacity run. RTL Compiler L licenses can also be used as thread processes with unlimited capacity if used with RTL Compiler's superthreading capability.

Here's the message we got after the design was read in:

The maximum allowed instance count has been exceeded.

Mapped instance count = 50946, max = 50000.

Our sales person suggested contacting support, suggesting this was a bug.  I thought I might try casting my fly here as well just in case someone has run into this -- search of the forums didn't turn up anything though.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Sep 1 2011 4:25 PM

Re: Instance limit for RTL compiler "L" version Reply

Sorry about the gross extra stuff in the post. Resulted from copy/paste from email with invisible formatting that did not show up until I hit the 'post' button.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 7:20 AM

• grasshopper
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,205

HI Brandtechnik,

RC-L indeed should provide 100K mapped instances and 400K generic instances. VDI package on the other hand provides 50K instances

If this is not what you are seeing it is indeed a bug and support should be able to help you by providing a fix or workaround.

gh-

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 1:35 PM

We did verify today that this is not a problem if we go back to 9.1 version of RTL Compiler, so must just be a bug in 10.1. Thank you for the reply, Grasshopper.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Brandtechnik at 01 Sep 2011 04:22 PM. Topic has 3 replies.