Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Export data to CSV format

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Export data to CSV format 

Last post Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:40 AM by satish chandra. 11 replies.
Started by CPete 10 Apr 2011 11:07 PM. Topic has 11 replies and 9689 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:07 PM

• CPete
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 11 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105
    Export data to CSV format Reply
    I'm trying to export I-V curves from the Spectre Simulator into CSV files. However, the save/save as menus only allow for saving the data in a figure-format file or as a PNG/TIFF/Image File. Is there a mode, command, or code sequence that would allow me to export my data to CSV or other data formats readable in Excel? Thank you for your assistance.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:16 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915
    Re: Export data to CSV format Reply

Hi CPete,

You should be able to use the ocnPrint() command to output tabulated results to a file - look at the Finder (startFinde() in the CIW, or "cdsFinder" at the Unix prompt) for short help, and cdnshelp (or CDSdoc, if using an older release) for the full documentation.  The ocnPrint command can accept a filename which it will write to, and for the input, it could be the named waveform, or perhaps the result of a calculation.  You might need to look at ocnYvsYplot() also?

Hope this helps!

Lawrence.

• Mon, Apr 11 2011 1:28 AM

From the results browser you can select the signals in Wavescan and do File->Save Signal. Then you can choose the output to be in CSV, VCSV (additional info added for ViVA's purpose), Matlab, or spectre input format. Alternatively you can send the data to a table and then do File->Save as CSV from the table.

If you've already plotted the traces and have the waveform window, you can select the traces you want (or do Trace->Select All), and then do Trace->Save and save as CSV, VCSV, Matlab etc.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 50
  • Thu, Jun 2 2011 12:03 PM

• CPete
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 11 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Thanks guys.  I selected all traces and saved as csv.

• Post Points: 5
  • Sat, Dec 15 2012 10:01 PM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 89
    • Points 1,270

Dear Andrew,

I have multiple trace plotted in Wavescan ( the trace are from multiple simulation run of the sam eschematic and appended on the same wavescan window) . I selected all and then save in spectre.in format.

When I reload it into nothing came on wave-scan.

When I saved all trace in VCSV format and reloaded I got only the last trace in the wave scan.

Could you please tell what is the issue and how it can be solved.

Kind regards,

• Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:08 AM

I don't think re-loading from spectre input format is supported (it's intended to be used as a PWL file for spectre). However, VCSV should work fine - I've tried with both wavescan (from IC5141,  5.10.41.500.6.151) and also with ViVA (from IC615, 6.1.5.500.14), and it works fine in both cases.

So please explain which version you're using (Help->About will tell you), and precisely what steps you're doing.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:17 PM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 89
    • Points 1,270

Dear Andrew,

I use IC5141 and MMSIM10 (Version 10.1.1.200.isr13 32bit -- 15 Aug 2011).

I ran one simulation on trace is plotted on the wavescan.

Then I chnaged some parameter of the circuit and plotted (appended) on wave scan.

NOW I selected all and then save in spectre.in format.

I want to save both the traces to be saved so that I can prcure the wave whenever I want without running the simulation

• Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:09 AM

First of all, you'd need to use a vcsv file (not a spectre.in file, as I mentioned before). Then you're hitting the problem that because the signal names are repeated, it only loads one of them (you've effectively got multiple signals with the same name on the graph, and whilst they are named sig<0>, sig<1> etc on the graph, that information is not retained in the file. Even if you edit the name of the signal (double click on the signal and change its name) that is not saved into the VCSV file (this works OK in ViVA in IC615 though).

So, the solution is to edit the header of the VCSV file after saving, and change the names to be unique (don't use any non-alphanumeric characters in the names to be safe) - so if you see mysig, mysig change it to mysig1, mysig2 for example.

Then you can load both signals from the VCSV file.

BTW, it was really the IC5141 subversion I was interested in; the simulator version is irrelevant. However, the key information that was missing before is the fact that you're plotting the same signal more than once from different simulation runs. That's important...

Andrew.

• Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:27 PM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 89
    • Points 1,270

Dear Andrew,

Thanks a lot for a clear explanation.

I did the way you have mentioned and indeed it worked nice.

I appreciate your help and time.

Kind Regards,

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 12:22 AM

Hi Andrew

When I export two signals of same test bench, from VIva to CSV , I have different X-axis values for the 2 signals. What Should I do so that the two signals are plotted with same X-axis (time sampling) ?

Please do the needful.

Thanks

Satish CS

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:32 AM

Satish,

Not sure which simulator you're using? If using Ultrasim, each node will have different X axis points, whereas spectre should use the same points unless you've used the "compression" option on the transient options form (which causes each signal to have its own X axis, and to only output points when the changes have been significant enough).

Certainly in IC615 I can also choose to clip the data and specify a from to and interpolation step when I do the export. 

Andrew.

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:40 AM

Thanks a lot Andrew.

I happen to do this after I mailed you :)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by CPete at 10 Apr 2011 11:07 PM. Topic has 11 replies.