Home > Community > Forums > PCB SKILL > Help with "E- *Error* axlFormBuildPopup"

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Help with "E- *Error* axlFormBuildPopup" 

Last post Thu, Apr 7 2011 7:28 AM by statz. 5 replies.
Started by statz 05 Apr 2011 12:35 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 1694 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Apr 5 2011 12:35 PM

• statz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 23 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50
    Help with "E- *Error* axlFormBuildPopup" Reply

I've downloaded the skill script "align_sym.il" and I added it to my skill directory and updated my allegro.ilinit file like I do my other skill scripts that I download from Cadence. However this skill script is giving me major problems. Everytime I run it I get the following message "E- *Error* axlFormBuildPopup: argument #1 should be any user-defined (other) type (type template = "otl") - nil". I tried Cadence support first, but they have no clue how to fix it. Can someone here help me figure out what the problem is?

Thanks,

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:22 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 719
    • Points 15,590
    Re: Help with "E- *Error* axlFormBuildPopup" Reply

I loaded the script and it works for me.

The error message you are getting implies the form has not been loaded. This will happen if there is any problem creating a file in your working directory.

It's old code with very little error capturing and doesn't use local variables so all sorts of things could be going wrong. However, the code does work for me so you should persevere.

Dave Elder, Tait Communications
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 4:45 AM

• statz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know the SKILL language so I need some help debugging this. What line/function defines where the form needs to be saved? Can we hard code in a directory to save the forms in? Maybe it's trying to use one of my windows environment variable to give it a location, but that variable doesn't exist so it then starts saving it to a place where I have no write access.

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 5:00 AM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 291
    • Points 4,640

The code uses "outfile" as the mechanism to create the form file, align_sym.form. If you skill path doesn't have "." as its 1st item then it will create the form file in a directory other then the current directory and axlFormCreate won't be able to find the form file. This can be fixed by:

- change the code to axlDMOpenFile instead of outfile  -- see the doc on the arguments it requires

- updating your skill path in your <HOME>/allegro.ilinit file to include a "." -- you will probably see it already being set in this file.

setSkillPath( cons( "." getSkillPath() ) )

As an expermiment you can type the the following on the allegro command line,then run the align command again. If it works that was your program:

skill  setSkillPath( cons( "." getSkillPath() ) )

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 6:48 AM

• statz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Awesome I think we're getting close. In my allegro.ilinit file I have the following

skillDir = "c:/adiva/interfaces/cadence"
    adiva_install = "c:/adiva/"

(setSkillPath (append (list "C:/allegro_scripts" skillDir) (getSkillPath)))

setSkillPath( cons( "." getSkillPath() ) )

(load "cwidth.il")
    (load "align_sym.il")
    (load "component_changes.il")
    (load "replace_via.il")
    (load "RotateSilkAssyRD.il")

println("allegro.ilinit file loaded")
    (load "adiva_iface_v300ib.il")
    (load "adiva_vio_lnk_v1q.il")

(axlShell "alias F12 (readError)")

I save the il files to the c:/allegro_scripts directory so all of the scripts except for align_sym work. However when I input "set SkillPath( cons( "." getSkillPath() ) )" into the allegro command prompt I can then get align_sym to work. How do I adjust the setSkillPath line such that I can load my scripts properly from the C:/Allegro_scripts directory? I tried adding "." to the "list" but it doesn't seem to want to work, and so I thought adding it as a separate line would get it to work but that has been unsuccessful thus far.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 7:28 AM

• statz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

OK so the easy fix that I use to make the align_sym script work is to change it from

frmfle = outfile("align_sym.form")

to

frmfle = outfile("./align_sym.form")

However I'd still like to understand why my allegro.ilinit file isn't working properly. I've tried putting the set skill path line at the very beginning of my allegro.ilinit file and it still doesn't work. 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by statz at 05 Apr 2011 12:35 PM. Topic has 5 replies.