Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Facing problem during simulation using external .txt file as stimulus

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Facing problem during simulation using external .txt file as stimulus 

Last post Thu, Mar 17 2011 6:28 AM by Analog Design. 8 replies.
Started by Analog Design 16 Mar 2011 06:34 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 2853 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:34 AM

Facing problem during simulation using external .txt file as stimulus Reply

Hi ,

I am giving two column (time/voltage ) .txt file  as  stimulus in spectre  . But during simulation the error coming as like below 

"Error  found by spectre during circuit read in" .  

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:03 AM

Re: Facing problem during simulation using external .txt file as stimulus Reply

I suspect it said more than that - that's usually the summary error message - after a specific error. Please show the line in the netlist with the vsource component which is referencing the file (if it's a small example, post the entire netlist; presumably you could do this with a simple circuit which just had the source and (say) a resistor to show the problem). Please give the version of spectre used. Please also show the contents of the file too.

You've given so little information, that it's very hard to know what to suggest.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Mar 16 2011 11:48 PM

Hi,

I am using ADE spectre(5.10.41_USR4.54.77) .

I have include external .txt stimulus file in spectre-> setup->simulation files-> stimulus file =path of .txt file

I  am using vsource component from analoglib and seted attribute of vsourc= pwl and file(.txt) input path .

I have attached the both netlist and spectre.out file contets in Options . 

• Wed, Mar 16 2011 11:58 PM

I can't check the attachments, but the obvious error is that you've specified the text file via the stimulus files in ADE. That's wrong. A stimulus file should be a spectre netlist, not a file containing time-voltage pairs. As a result, spectre would be trying to interpret the text file as a spectre netlist, which it isn't.

You would give the path to the file on the vsource component only (sounds as if you've done that).

I'll check your attachments when I am in the office and can access a web browser.

Regards,

Andrew
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 11:59 PM

Hi,
    I am using ADE spectre(5.10.41_USR4.54.77) .
    I have include external .txt stimulus file in spectre-> setup->simulation
    files->
    stimulus file =path of .txt file
    I am using vsource component from analoglib and seted attribute of
    vsourc= pwl and
    file(.txt) input path .
    I have attached the both netlist and spectre.out file contets
  • Thu, Mar 17 2011 12:49 AM

Managed to look at your attachment. You included the netlist rather than the input.scs (sorry, I probably should have made that clear) and as such I can't see the erroneous "include" statement of your text file (i.e. the stimulus file), but that would definitely cause this problem. The full error message pinpoints that:

Error found by spectre during circuit read-in.
    "/home/mudassar/simulation/test_1/spectre/schematic/netlist/stimuli/text.txt" 1: Unexpected numeric value "0.000000000000".

It's complaining about reading the file during "circuit read-in" and the numeric value is clearly indicating that it's your time-voltage file. 

So remove the stimulus file setting in ADE, and then it should work. Not sure why you thought you needed to set that (I didn't say that you should do that in my previous replies)?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Mar 17 2011 4:35 AM

I removed the stimulus file setting from ADE Spectre  . Only I have given  .txt (time/voltage) file path in vsource attribute . But still it is flushing error like below

"unable to open wavwform file . No such file or directre found " 

I have also attached .txt(input) file and error file contents. 

• Thu, Mar 17 2011 4:47 AM

Looking at the log file, it is very clear that it cannot access the file (it says no such file or directory, which is pretty clear and obvious). The chances are that you either have the path to the file incorrect; it's not permissions because it would have said "Permission denied" otherwise. The error message is a low level OS error, so it's not something that is spectre specific.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Mar 17 2011 6:28 AM

Thank you . I found the fault . That was path problem .

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Analog Design at 16 Mar 2011 06:34 AM. Topic has 8 replies.