Home > Community > Forums > Logic Design > RTL compiler inner clock definition

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

RTL compiler inner clock definition 

Last post Sun, Feb 20 2011 10:20 AM by EvgeniySUAI. 6 replies.
Started by EvgeniySUAI 14 Dec 2010 10:21 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 5617 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 14 2010 10:21 AM

RTL compiler inner clock definition Reply

Hi developers! :)

I've faced with problem with defining of timing constraint in RTL Compiler. In my design inner clock is generated based on signals from two input pins (xor on two signals actually).  How can i tell to RTL Compiler, that this inner signal is a clock? I tried create_generated_clock, but it allows to define generated clock only based on some input pin. This is unacceptable for my design. It also seems to me, that create_generated_clock can be used only for creating clock on outputs of deviders or pll.

Thanks in advance, Evgeniy

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 3:36 PM

• prakashpmc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 10 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    Re: RTL compiler inner clock definition Reply

I would try creating a module whose output is the needed clock. From there on, it would be a input pin for rest of the design.You can also possibly create  constraint as it is an output for the module. This change would fit the RTL compiler requirements.

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:39 AM

Re: RTL compiler inner clock definition Reply

Thank you very much for the answer. For me it's very important to learn how to define clocks on design inner signals. It was the requirement for my project.  So i did this in the following manner:

set C_D [define_clock -name CLOCK_D -domain d_5 -period 10000 [find /designs/upper_prj/inner_comp -pin q]]

RTL compiler did not tell me anything bad about this construction. Is it ok, how do you think?

Thanks in advance, Evgeniy

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 9:07 AM

• prakashpmc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 10 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    RE: RTL compiler inner clock definition Reply
    Give it a try and see what happens!

-Prakash
  • Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:08 AM

Re: RE: RTL compiler inner clock definition Reply

I'll try, thank you =)

Evgeniy

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:52 AM

• grasshopper
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,205
    HI Evgeniy,

Can you please describe the constraint and circuit in full. You can define a clock on an internal node if you wanted to and this is also the case for generated_clock. The question is not so much what constraint you were trying to apply but what behavior you were trying to model since whatever constraints you apply can have different impact on how tools handle it down the flow. You can start by simply defining a clock on the pin in question. A generated clock needs to have a master source whether an I/O or internal node. Sounds like you have an oscillator or some sort of clock inversion circuit. If it is the latter, I do not think you need to redefine the clock if the source propagates there.

Gh-
  • Sun, Feb 20 2011 10:20 AM

Hi!

Thank you for the answer.

In details, i have incoming DS-encoded data (two signals -SIN and DIN). According to the standard of DS-encoding, clock signal for this data can be produced by XORing  SIN and DIN. So, my project contains XOR component for this operation. On the output of XOR i define clock in the manner, i described above.

As i understand,  generated_clock must have some source clock, but in my project frequency of data transmission in DS-encoded channel is absolutely independant on any inner clock signals. So, as i understand, i cant use generated_clock here.

Evgeniy

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by EvgeniySUAI at 14 Dec 2010 10:21 AM. Topic has 6 replies.