Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > deepprobe with AMS

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

deepprobe with AMS 

Last post Fri, Jul 19 2013 5:03 AM by KMan11. 14 replies.
Started by swdesigner 02 Dec 2010 09:49 AM. Topic has 14 replies and 3488 views
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 9:49 AM

deepprobe with AMS Reply

Is there any way to get the solution 11017972 - accessing a lower level net from the top-level - to work with AMS?

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:06 AM

Re: deepprobe with AMS Reply
    Are you using the cell-based netlister or OSS in AMS in ADE?

Needs a bit of thought - sorry, hadn't had a chance to look into this from your earlier question (I created the solution you're referring to).

Regards,

Andrew
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:14 AM

I'm working through the ADE - so I guess it's cell-based?

• Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:42 AM

If you're using ADE it could be either. If using the "plugin" flow from the hierarchy editor, then it would only be cell-based.

In ADE, go to Simulation->Netlist and Run options and see what it says.

With OSS, it may just work (I'd have to try though) but for Cell-Based it would definitely need some customization.

Are you using IC5141 or IC614?

Regards,

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:48 PM

Running with default, I have "Cellivew-based netlister with ncvlog, ncelab, ncsim" checked. I didn't even know about these options and what they mean.

I tried OSS, but it fails elaboration for another reason - complains about too many module parameters being passed to the verilog modules.

I'm on  5.10.41.500.6.143

Thanks!

• Mon, Dec 6 2010 2:37 PM

Any clues here? If I get a lead, I might be able to create the workaround myself - I guess I'd have to modify deepprobe.il and cdsinfo.tag?

As I use AMS intensively, it would really help my productivity.

Thanks!

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 9:11 AM

SR 42303742 being worked on for this..
  • Wed, Dec 8 2010 9:19 AM

Apologies - just been a lack of time for me to do my normal job as well as write the custom netlisting procedure needed for this to work in AMS Cellbased. It's completely different from the custom netlisting procedure used for spectre, so it's just a matter of me having the time to do this. Probably best to be done via a service request anyway.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 9:21 AM

I understand, just updating..
  • Fri, Jan 7 2011 6:56 AM

I've been working with the AE who is handling this SR, and I managed to find some time to come up with some code to get the deeprobe to netlist OK for AMS (with the Cell Based Netlister). Once he has checked this out with you, I'll update the solution on Cadence Online Support to include the additional information.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

• Sat, Jan 8 2011 12:31 PM

That would super. I depend heavily on AMS...

Thanks!

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 6:43 PM

Along the same lines, is it possible to create a component, somewhat similar to deepprobe, that can be used to create a voltage equal to a parameter of another component? Here's the motivation :

I want to trim an oscillator in my simulation - in a DC simulation. The oscillator freq is based on an RC time constant. Getting an R in an operating point sim is easy. Getting the C is not possible - you have to run a transient, which I'd like to avoid. If there were a component I could use - say param2volt that creates a voltage source with voltage equal to the C of the cap of interest, my problem is solved.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 4:46 AM

• KMan11
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 10 2013
    • Bristol, Avon
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Hi Guys,

Did anyone try the deep probe (with or without the additional SKILL) with an OSS netlister?

I did manage to get it to work with Cell-view, but I recently changed over to OSS to support up-to-date features.

Whilst the simulation runs with the deepprobe, I get a warning during a transient run preamble, that the net

Testtop\.IDUT\.ITOP\.IADC\.fastreset doesn't exist.  

The net to probe in my deep probe symbol refers to that net, but without the '\' characters.  Why does it place those chars?

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 4:52 AM

This works fine with the new "UNL" OSS implementation that is coming (it's currently under early adopter with a few customers), but there are no plans to fix it in the current OSS implementation (for reference, CCR 1089627). Unfortunately the translation code which translates spectre syntax to VerilogAMS incorrectly escapes the hierarchy delimiters.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 5:03 AM

• KMan11
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 10 2013
    • Bristol, Avon
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

That's a shame.....

ok...I'll continue to use 'force' 'release' statements to 'logic' discipline nets for now.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by swdesigner at 02 Dec 2010 09:49 AM. Topic has 14 replies.