Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Custom Layout Rules using Constraint Manager

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Custom Layout Rules using Constraint Manager 

Last post Thu, Sep 2 2010 3:13 PM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by Sandys 31 Aug 2010 10:26 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 1343 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:26 AM

• Sandys
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 27 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Custom Layout Rules using Constraint Manager Reply

Hi there,

I have been using the Constraint manager to change the default behavior of things like Auto via etc.(changing via spacing from tech default for example) and it has been working well but I find that as I don't have permission to edit tech file I have to set this up each time I do a new design.

I'd like to apply my custom rules by default for every bit of layout I do, can anyone help me with any skill pointers or tricks to do this, seems like it should be quite simple but i'm failing :(

I've attempted to use techSetParam to do this but am not having much luck with it, perhaps some syntax incorrect I guess. I am using IC 6.1.4

I use this to check the rule, having already set techID

techGetSpacingRule(techID "minEdgeAdjacentLength" "VIA")

this returns a list of the min values, how do I change these values on startup automatically? 

Cheers 

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Sep 2 2010 3:13 PM

Re: Custom Layout Rules using Constraint Manager Reply
    There are a couple of ways this could be done:

1. When you create your design library, create it so that you "reference" the main technology library rather than "attaching" the technology library. This means that you have an "incremental technology database". Then in the constraint manager, you can create a constraint group in your own technology library (which tops up the normal technology library) - and then you can use this constraint group for any design within that library.
        2. Create the constraint group in a specific design in a library (again from the constraint manager) - setting it up once. Then you can use the "Load Physical View" command in VLS XL to load any constraint groups from a specific cellView into your design. In essence, you can then use that design as a template, importing whatever information you need into any future designs.

I don't think there's any need to use SKILL for this.

Best Regards,

Andrew.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Sandys at 31 Aug 2010 10:26 AM. Topic has 1 replies.