Home > Community > Forums > IC Packaging and SiP Design > Importing vias in Allegro APD

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Importing vias in Allegro APD 

Last post Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:04 AM by mikem. 3 replies.
Started by Siraj Akhtar 11 May 2010 03:42 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 8695 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, May 11 2010 3:42 PM

Importing vias in Allegro APD Reply
    I want to know how to import via’s into Allegro APD.

I have a file that contains the coordinates of my package vias. I want to import them into APD so that I don’t have to manually replace each via. I have a VIA_175 padstack already created that I want to use for these vias. How can I import this into APD?

Alternatively, I have tried importing a gds that contains the vias. I can bring this into APD as a conductor or as a shape, but I can’t figure out how to replace these so that they are now VIA’s using the VIA_175 padstack.

Any thoughts?

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, May 12 2010 7:06 AM

• BillAcito
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 52
    • Points 830
    Re: Importing vias in Allegro APD Reply

Are you saying that you have a file with the coordinates for a BGA footprint? 

Use Add-->BGA-->BGA Text in Wizard.

You can specify the VIA_175 as part of that process.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, May 12 2010 7:59 AM

Bill,

Thank you for the response.

I use the following BGA in file:

file: /Allegro/BGA_mychip.txt

Date: Wed May  5 16:17:01 2010

Units: microns, 2 decimal places

Name: BGA_9MMX9MM

RefDes: BGA

Origin: (0.00 0.00)

Rotation: 0.000

Pad Layer: BOT_COND

Extents: ((-4500.00 -4500.00) (4500.00 4500.00))

Pin Number       Padstack          X Coord Y Coord            Rotation            Pin Use Net Name

A2        BGA_PAD_1     -4000    -3500    0          BI         VSS_OSC        

A3        BGA_PAD_1     -4000    -3000    0          BI         VDD_OSC

So now, if I have the via center points, can I do the following:

file: /Allegro/VIA_mychip.txt

Date: Wed May  5 16:17:01 2010

Units: microns, 2 decimal places

Name: VIA_9MMX9MM

RefDes: BGA

Origin: (0.00 0.00)

Rotation: 0.000

Pad Layer: ???

Extents: ((-4500.00 -4500.00) (4500.00 4500.00))

Pin Number       Padstack          X Coord             Y Coord                        Rotation            Pin Use Net Name

V1                    VIA_175            -1940.41            -2010.79            0          BI         VSS_OSC        

V2                    VIA_175            -3048.22            -3183.66            0          BI         VDD_OSC

What do I specify for Pad Layer in the header? TOP_COND, BOT_COND?

Also when this VIA comes in, will it have the connectivity because it already has the Net Name assigned to it?

Regards.

--Siraj.

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:04 AM

• mikem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2008
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

This can be done by using a script:

1.  Open the text file that contains your via coordinates.  Insert the word "pick" and a space, before each coordinate.  Example: pick 2.350 4.560. This may be easiest to do, in Microsoft Excel.

2.  In your design, Place via_150, in an unused area.

3.  Using FILE>SCRIPT, create a new script.  Give the script a name and select RECORD.  Within your drawing, copy the via that was placed earlier, using the center of the via as the copy origin.  Place a copy of the via, by entering an absolute coordinate on the command line, i.e. x 2.5 y  3.7.  Stop the sript and open the resulting sript file, in a text editor.

4.  When you open the script file in a text editor, you will find an entry for the via that was copied.  It will read something like:  pick 2.5 3.7.  Remove this entry and insert all your via coordinates from your text file in STEP 1, here.  Do not copy over any other entries in the scipt.  Save the file.

Go back to your design and replay the script.  The command line will prompt you for a copy origin.  Using your mouse, pick the via that was placed in STEP 2.  After selecting this via, the script will place copies of via_150 at all the proper coordinates.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Siraj Akhtar at 11 May 2010 03:42 PM. Topic has 3 replies.