Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > HOLD FIX FLOW IN ENCOUNTER

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

HOLD FIX FLOW IN ENCOUNTER 

Last post Tue, Oct 16 2007 10:56 PM by archive. 6 replies.
Started by archive 16 Oct 2007 10:56 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 2314 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 16 2007 10:56 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    HOLD FIX FLOW IN ENCOUNTER Reply

Can anyone please explain the hold fix flow to be followed in encounter. I am trying to put a dontuse on many buffer cells but they are still being used when I use the FIXHOLD and optDesign -hold command.
    Also it would help if yusers could commnent  on how good is encounter in fixing Hold. What are the techniwues used by encounter to fix hold. Does it use only delay insetion in the datapath or does much more to optimize hold violations

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mvvijay78
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Oct 31 2007 7:23 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    RE: HOLD FIX FLOW IN ENCOUNTER Reply

I have not had too much luck with hold fixing. It adds a lot of buffers and our designs are quite tight as far as utilization is concerned. So I have had congestion problems created by hold fixing.

After CTS I usually go through clock reports in detail to see why skews didn't get fixed properly. Usually the culprits are one of the following -
    a) Floorplan needs to be revisited. Too many routes, density issues.
    b) Is shielding turned on? In smaller technologies I have seen that 2x spacing is better than shielding. Also allocate enough layers for clock routing.
    c) Remove the larger buffers from the CTS buffer list
    d) Adding the inverting CT cells to the buffer list sometimes helps with skew issues.
    e) Do you have generated clocks - If this is the case, make sure that the "through pins" are coming out correctly in your clock spec file. Make sure that the root pin and the source pin are defined correctly in the SDC. If this doesnt work try doing a 2 step CTS - you can find an article on this in the cadence website.
    f) See if there are reconvergent paths in your clock tree. Use -forceReconvergent option in CTS.

Thx,

Sanjay

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ssunder@sioptical.com
  • Wed, Nov 7 2007 2:07 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

If utilization looks like it will be a problem, we use specifyCellPad on our flops to leave room for an eventual hold-fix buffer. We've had good success with that method. Also, if FE is adding tons of buffers, you may want to revisit your hold margin and make sure it's not too unrealistic.

- Kari

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Kari
  • Wed, Nov 21 2007 10:03 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

if the hold violations are at the Si pin of the flop, you mgiht want to re-order the scan chan using
    scanReorder -clkAware after CTS.  It will help to reduce # of hold violation to the si pin if your design has a lot of gated clock trees.

li siang

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by lisiang
  • Tue, Dec 4 2007 11:22 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Hold fixing can be a pain. does the log file tell you anything as why its using dont use cells. I didnt see this issue so far. But i think this is a soft constraint.
    FE can only fix hold on paths if they dont violate setup or transition  or if they are not declared to be critical nets by user.
    It does delay or buffer insertion only. I have seen sometimes it quits without fixing few paths even if these paths are not setup critical. they have to be fixed by hand. use ver 6 and above

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by pjayasekharan
  • Thu, Dec 6 2007 3:46 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Kari, How does one judge what a realistic hold margin is?

I have also had good results with scanReorder -clkAware post CTS.

Ed

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by sreeb
  • Fri, Dec 7 2007 12:28 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Hi Ed,

That's a difficult question to answer. It's really just a feel you get after working in a certain process for a while. We had a customer that was doing their first 90nm design, and they were very paranoid about hold margin and picked a large number. We knew from doing many 90 nm designs that what he picked was unrealistic, and we were able to suggest something more reasonable. Some folks base it on a percentage of the clock period. Also, it's usually a combination of time to account for clock jitter, and some extra padding. But depending on whether you're using OCV or not, you can adjust the extra padding part. Also, you don't want to pick a hold uncertainty number that makes your design blow up (so many buffers get added that your utilization goes through the roof). Sorry I can't give a more concrete answer.

- Kari

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Kari
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 16 Oct 2007 10:56 PM. Topic has 6 replies.