Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > pss+pnoise analysis failure in Monte Carlo Simulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

pss+pnoise analysis failure in Monte Carlo Simulation 

Last post Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:48 PM by Soner. 2 replies.
Started by Soner 27 Jan 2010 09:25 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 4127 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jan 27 2010 9:25 PM

• Soner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 7 2014
    • Posts 0
    • Points 295
    pss+pnoise analysis failure in Monte Carlo Simulation Reply

Hi,

I am trying to run a Monte Carlo simulation of a 25GHz LC-VCO (vco followed by an ac-coupled buffer) for phase noise (mmsim-7.11, pss (harmonic balance) and pnoise). When I try a single run (no variability), the simulation finishes successfully without any errors or warnings. When I try running a Monte Carlo simulation (with process and mismatch), I am having one of the problems described below randomly (depending on the seed and starting run#). By the way,  when I try to run a transient analysis in a Monte Carlo simulation with the same samples, the simulation finishes successfully. Could you please help?

1) After the first few samples, the simulator stops/freezes without any error messages in the output log. 

2) At the first sample, I got the error message: "ERROR SPECTRE-16192: No convergence achieved with the minimum time step specified". I think this happens during the tstab. However the transient simulation does not have any convergence problems with the same set of samples.

Could you please help?

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jan 27 2010 11:14 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 212
    • Points 5,625
    Re: pss+pnoise analysis failure in Monte Carlo Simulation Reply

Hi SonerYaldiz,

You didn't mention what subversion of MMSIM 7.1.1 you were using.  If you are simulating with BSIMSOI devices, there is a known issue that is described in support.cadence.com Solution 11588618 which is fixed in the latest MMSIM 7.1.1 ISR available on downloads.cadence.com . 

If the latest ISR doesn't resolve this issue, I recommend contacting Cadence Customer Support and filing a Service Request, attaching your spectre output logfile to the SR. 

best regards,

Tawna Wilsey

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:48 PM

• Soner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 7 2014
    • Posts 0
    • Points 295
    Re: pss+pnoise analysis failure in Monte Carlo Simulation Reply

Hi Tawna,

The latest ISR resolved the issue.

Thanks and regards,

Soner Yaldiz

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Soner at 27 Jan 2010 09:25 PM. Topic has 2 replies.