Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Plotting pole/zero results

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Plotting pole/zero results 

Last post Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:59 PM by Andrew Beckett. 7 replies.
Started by Grover 14 Jan 2010 06:04 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 4521 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jan 14 2010 6:04 PM

• Grover
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 19 2009
    • Posts 37
    • Points 725
    Plotting pole/zero results Reply

I often use the pole/zero analysis in Virtuoso GXL (6.1.3), and it works great, but the way to plot the poles and zeros is quite inconvenient. After each simulation, I have to click somewhere in the Results tab, select "Direct plot -> Main form", click "pz", set options, and click "Plot" before the results appear.

Obviously, it's quite annoying to do all this after each simulation run, while the normal AC analysis just pops right up. Is there a way to make the pole/zero plot appear automatically?

(perhaps equally annoying, is that Virtuoso also always opens another copy of my schematic. I usually work with ADE in one window and the schematic in another, but when I click "Main form", it opens another copy of the schematic in a new tab in ADE. Is there a way to stop this? This also happens when I choose "Print", e.g. for a pole/zero list or detailed operating points.)

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:18 PM

Re: Plotting pole/zero results Reply

Use the "add to outputs" button on the direct plot form - this will add it into your ADE outputs, and then you can choose for that to be plotted automatically after each simulation.

Are you using ADE XL? Or ADE L - your post wasn't that clear.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:32 PM

• Grover
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 37
    • Points 725

I'm using ADE XL. But the problem is that this "add to outputs" button doesn't exist for the pole/zero plot. It's there when you choose "ac", but not when you choose "pz".

• Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:59 PM

Well, I'd never noticed that before...

If you create an output expression which is:

{ pzPlot() 0}

or:

{pzPlot(?plot 'zeros ?freqfilter 1e12 ?realfilter 0.001) 0}

The ?plot argument can be 'zeros, 'poles or 'polesZeros (default is 'polesZeros). Note that pzPlot is documented, so you can find out more details in the documentation.

Surrounding in curly parentheses is because the function returns t, and an expression needs to return a number - so it has been made to return 0 in this case.

I found there is a CCR, 83212, asking for Add to Outputs to be added for pz analysis, and also CCR 129416 is relevant here. If you want this, please contact Cadence Customer Support and  request that a duplicate CCR is filed to increase the demand for this enhancement.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:10 PM

• Grover
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 37
    • Points 725

Wow, thanks! This makes my life a lot easier :-)

But still, do you have a solution for the second issue I mentioned? Now that I can automatically plot poles and zeros this is less important, but it still happens when I want to check e.g. the detailed operating point. Is it because I have one window with ADE and another with Schematic, and they are not aware of each other?

• Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:41 PM

What subversion are you using? I was just checking with 6.1.3.500.17, and if I have the schematic open already - either in another window or another tab, it automatically switches to it when I use direct plot.

If the schematic is not already open, it opens it in a new tab and switches to it, when I use direct plot.

So I've not been able to reproduce it - maybe I've not go the scenario the same as you?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:11 PM

• Grover
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 37
    • Points 725

I'm using 6.1.3.500.13. In detail, this is what I do:

1. Start Cadence and open the Library Manager
    2. Double-click the schematic view of my circuit (and drag the window to monitor 2), then descend into the part I'm interested in
    3. Double-click the adexl view of my circuit (and drag the window to monitor 1)
    4. Run a simulation
    5. Right-click the results, and choose "Direct plot -> Main form" (or "Print -> DC Operating point")

The first time I do step 5, the Schematic window (on monitor 2) returns right to the top of the stack, so I have to descend my way back down to the component I want to measure. Everything else is just fine.

Then I run the simulation again, and do step 5 again. Now the Schematic window stays the way it is, and the ADE XL window (on monitor 1) opens a second tab with the schematic (at top level). When I keep repeating steps 4 and 5, it just switches to this schematic tab each time.

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:59 PM

OK, I see - I've reproduced that. I found existing CCR 597896 which talks about this too - I appended your description to it.

It appears to be proposed to be fixed in IC615.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Grover at 14 Jan 2010 06:04 PM. Topic has 7 replies.