Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Very first steps with Cadence PCB Editor/Design Entry HDL

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Very first steps with Cadence PCB Editor/Design Entry HDL 

Last post Tue, Mar 26 2013 11:25 AM by lynsey. 10 replies.
Started by First Layout 27 Nov 2009 05:09 AM. Topic has 10 replies and 6183 views
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 27 2009 5:09 AM

Very first steps with Cadence PCB Editor/Design Entry HDL Reply

Hello,

I'm starting with my first layout (master thesis: rf frontend) in Cadence SPB 15.7 and have a lot of questions. Here are some of them:

1.) Before I start with the schematic, I think I have to create the schematic-symbols and the footprints of the ICs. I already followed a tutorial which showed how to make the padstacks and the footprints with assembly outline, silkscreen outline, package boundary. I startet with an easy footprint of the MAX4447 with SOIC 16 pins. But I have no tutorial which explains how to create the schematic-symbol and how to link it with my new footprint. Any idea where to find one?

2.)  The next parts, I have to create are TSSOP20, SOT-89, QFN-LP3, 20pin MCM, 56TQFN, SOT3, SOT-666, QFN-6.

It's a lot of work and I don't know if everything I do is correct. So are there downloadable footprint packages which contain some of my needed footprints? I think I have to compare every downloaded footprint with the datasheet of the part but it would speed up my work a lot.

3.) Any other hints? =)

regards,

First_Layout

• Post Points: 50
  • Fri, Nov 27 2009 5:42 AM

• Khurram
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 16 2009
    • Karachi, Pakistan
    • Posts 41
    • Points 715
    Re: Very first steps with Cadence PCB Editor/Design Entry HDL Reply
    If you tell me which schematic software you are using with allegro then I could explain how to link schematic symbol with footprint, meanwhile I am attaching you a utility which have approximately 3000 footprint, it also include all necessary pad stacks/shapes/flashes/devices files. I have found this utility on internet. I have never used it professionally as we have lots of standard associated with footprint, may be it will be helpful to you. If you have any question regarding it, you can ask me and give me your feedback on it.

Thanks
    Khurram
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 27 2009 5:55 AM

• Khurram
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Karachi, Pakistan
    • Posts 41
    • Points 715

Sorry i forget to attached the utility, here it is .......

• Fri, Nov 27 2009 6:02 AM

Thank you for the link, I downloaded the tool a few minutes before your post and I think it will help me a lot. 

I have Cadence SPB 15.7 with "Design Entry HDL". When I start "Design Entry HDL" I have the choice between:

"Allegro Design Entry HDL L"

"Allegro PCB Design HDL L"

"Allegro PCB Design HDL XL (PCB Design Expert)"

"ConceptHDL (legacy)"

• Fri, Nov 27 2009 6:27 AM

• Khurram
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Karachi, Pakistan
    • Posts 41
    • Points 715
    RE: Very first steps with Cadence PCB Editor/Design Entry HDL Reply
    HI

Go to part developer >>> open library >>> edit  >> add schematic symbol >> add footprint(dra) name in JDEC_TYPE. Save the library. This way you can add footprint in symbol.

Regards
    Khurram
    • Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Nov 27 2009 10:06 AM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 880
    • Points 13,550

Who would start a master's thesis on an expired toolset?  What university are you at?  What is your thesis?

• Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:44 AM

• S Grant Davies
    • Not Ranked
    • Margam, West Glamorgan
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Hi Yes you will first need to have the schematic part "symbols" ready to be placed onto your schematic, and once you have a working schematic each part "symbol" will need to be assigned a "PCB Footprint", that way when you ECO (engineering change order) from your schematic into allegro, Allegro knows which footprints to call upon to bring into your layout design. so you do need schematic symbols and pcb footprints, before a layout and be proceeded with.   yes 15.7 is a little old hat, I use 16.01 (even though there is 16.2 currently available) 16.3 is coming out very soon also. good luck on your design. Stephen Grant-Davies - QuantumCad.

S C Grant-Davies QuantumCad www.quantumcad.co.uk
  • Mon, Dec 7 2009 2:02 AM

• pondicherry
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 13 2009
    • Pondicherry, Pondicherry
    • Posts 15
    • Points 225
    hi iam also learning allegro.Do u have any material to study abt.
  • Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:43 PM

• HANUMAGOUDA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 30 2009
    • BANGALORE, Karnataka
    • Posts 10
    • Points 80
    Hi khurram, My self Hanumagouda Patil from India, i am new to to the allegro.Can you please tell me how to create footprint in allegro and how to use those footprints for my design. I am using Cadence OrCAD v16.2 &16.3. I hope 'll get a complete procedure. please reply to my mail id: hani.gmit@gmail.com Regards, Hanumagouda Patil
    Hanumagouda Patil
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 5:36 AM

• S Grant Davies
    • Not Ranked
    • Margam, West Glamorgan
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

hiya,

(1) first and foremost, you should realise when you install Cadence Allegro, it will install footprint libaries for you these can be viewed and used from

C:\Cadence\SPB_16.3\share\pcb\pcb_lib\symbols

you just need to open them (*.dra) ( its probably worth opening some up and experimenting here to get an idea)

eg cap300.dra ( you also might notice for every *.dra file there is also a psm this is normal and Allegro needs both of these for its ECO process.

(2) every part on your schematic needs an allocated footprint eg (cap300) you dont need to add in the .dra

once this is complete you also need to make sure in setup user preferances, Paths are set up correctly either for using cadence default lib or in case you want to use your own.  alternatively to that, you can just place your  *dra and *.psm files in the exact same folder as your intended  .brd   this way you dont need to configure paths (your choice)

(3) you should now be able to take your schematic into Allegro, oviously you might encounter isues along the way but thats generally a good starting point. good luck, it is a bit of a learning curve to use Allegro, but once you do, its one of the best PCB CAD tools on the market.

S C Grant-Davies QuantumCad www.quantumcad.co.uk
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 11:25 AM

• lynsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 6 2012
    • Posts 15
    • Points 120

Here is a quick tutorial for the Cadence Allegro Design Entry HDL -

http://www.referencedesigner.com/tutorials/hdl/hdl_01.php

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by First Layout at 27 Nov 2009 05:09 AM. Topic has 10 replies.