Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Spectre simulations (sometimes) fail when started through analog environment

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Spectre simulations (sometimes) fail when started through analog environment 

Last post Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:48 PM by IronRing. 5 replies.
Started by IronRing 23 Oct 2009 01:21 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 2671 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 1:21 PM

• IronRing
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 23 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Spectre simulations (sometimes) fail when started through analog environment Reply

This has been a widespread problem at my University for some time now.  Sometimes everything works fine with simulations.  Other times (apparently at random) Spectre simulations will not work when started through the Analog Environment.  When it starts to fail, it generally will continue to do so for a long period and restarting Cadence does not help.  If I try again the next day sometimes it will work, other times it won't.  When it fails to run, the spectre.out window displays a message similar to "Simulation failed.  See output.log file for more information."  However, this file is not created.

When this happens we use a workaround to run simulations: Using the console, we browse to the simulation/Design_Name/spectre/schematic directory and run the Spectre command from the command line, using the command that has been set up in ADE.  This always works, and the results can be loaded into ADE and analyzed as usual.  The problem with this workaround, other than being a hassle, is that there is no way to run parametric simulations (as far as I can figure out).

Versions being used are:
    ICFB/ADE 5.10.41.500.5.128
    Spectre 6.2.1.390

Our servers are Sun machines.The problem seems to be independent of design kits, and will even appear for the simplest circuits (eg. a voltage source, resistor and ground from analogLib).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 2:03 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 209
    • Points 5,535
    Re: Spectre simulations (sometimes) fail when started through analog environment Reply

The first thing that caught my eye was the version of spectre that you are using....MMSIM 6.2.1 has been End of Life for some time now.  I strongly recommend upgrading to MMSIM 7.1.1 if at all possible.

It would also be helpful to get the exact error message from spectre/IC5.1.41 .

I recommend filing a Service Request via sourcelink.cadence.com and the support AE on line will be able to assist you in troubleshooting.

best regards,

Tawna Wilsey

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    • Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 2:29 PM

• IronRing
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Re: Spectre simulations (sometimes) fail when started through analog environment Reply

Thanks for the reply.  I'll see if we can get the newer MMSIM installed.

For the record, the exact error message is:

“simulate...
    Problems encountered during simulation.
    Use the Simulation->Output Log menu for more information.”

But the 'Simulation->Output Log' option is greyed out, and the log file does not exist in the simulation directory.  I can't find anything that provides any information about the error.

I'm not sure if our University licensing agreement includes access to support from Cadence AE's.  I can look into it if the Spectre update doesn't fix the problem.

• Sun, Oct 25 2009 2:11 PM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220

As advised, upgrade your MMSIM to the latest hotfix. Check with your foundry pdk documentation what version of MMSIM, IC, ASSURA, etc... the foundry used to validate the pdk before simulating and try to stick with those versions.

I see this problem sometimes but it seems to be specific to certain machines (Netlist & Run, no output log and spectre stalls, after a minute icfb reports problem). We have a UNIX lab running Solaris 10 and sometimes the error is resolved by simply going to another workstation and running the simulation.

• Sun, Oct 25 2009 9:01 PM

• Ramkumar M
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 14
    • Points 220
    Re: Spectre simulations (sometimes) fail when started through analog environment Answer Reply

Hi,

This is a well known problem. The problem is due to missing OS patches. You have to run checkSysConf on problematic machines and get those patches installed/upgraded.

%>  checkSysConf  MMSIM7.1

This will check for OS patches and report the missing ones. Pass the report to IT and get them installed. That should fix the problem.

Regards,

Ramkumar

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:48 PM

• IronRing
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thank you Ramkumar!  I ran checkSysConf MMSIM6.2 and it comes up with various patches that need to be applied.  Hopefully IT will be able to apply these patches to fix the problem.  

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by IronRing at 23 Oct 2009 01:21 PM. Topic has 5 replies.