Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Open pCell for Edit Keeping pCell's Parameters

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Open pCell for Edit Keeping pCell's Parameters 

Last post Thu, Oct 15 2009 3:30 PM by Andrew Beckett. 3 replies.
Started by ahamlett 13 Oct 2009 11:56 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 2499 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 13 2009 11:56 AM

• ahamlett
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 31
    • Points 585
    Open pCell for Edit Keeping pCell's Parameters Reply

When opening a pcell with dbOpenCellViewByType(), the pcell's parameters are set to the default values.

If the pcell is instanced in another cell, you can open that pcell with cell~>instances~>master and the pcell's shapes will reflect any changes that were made on the pcell's parameter values. However, the pcell will be opened for read-only.

How do I open the pcell for write and also keep the pcell's parameters that could have been changed in the instancing cell?

Is there an equivalent function to dbCreateParamInst() which would open the cell, such as dbOpenParamCellViewByType()?

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Oct 13 2009 2:21 PM

Re: Open pCell for Edit Keeping pCell's Parameters Reply
    Alan,

This doesn't really make sense. You can't write to a pcell submaster, because it would no longer be a pcell. So why would you want to do this?

You can use dbCopyCellView to copy the submaster of a specific instance (e.g. inst~>master) to another cellview - then it would become a fixed layout, and you can edit it as much as you like.

Regards,

Andrew
  • Thu, Oct 15 2009 1:24 PM

• ahamlett
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 31
    • Points 585

Thanks Andrew. I wanted to use dbFlattenInst() but I see that I should first check if the master is a pcell and handle it differently.

• Thu, Oct 15 2009 3:30 PM

Alan,

You don't need to check whether a master is a pcell before you call dbFlattenInst. There's an argument to dbFlattenInst to control whether it will flatten pcells or leave them as pcells - but if you specify t, it will flatten it regardless of whether it is a pcell or not.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ahamlett at 13 Oct 2009 11:56 AM. Topic has 3 replies.