Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > How do you sweep under ADE-XL Monte Carlo simulation.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How do you sweep under ADE-XL Monte Carlo simulation. 

Last post Fri, Sep 25 2009 2:34 PM by alanw. 1 replies.
Started by Spirito 07 Sep 2009 05:07 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 2813 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 7 2009 5:07 AM

• Spirito
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 3 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    How do you sweep under ADE-XL Monte Carlo simulation. Reply

I am new in ADE-XL , and I tried to simulate a mixer's conversion gain over a range of IF frequency. it all runs well in ADE-L

My variables are IF=1G , RF=6*IF and LO=5*IF . I then sweep in pss the IF from 0.8G to 1.2G and get a gain curve. From which I calculate the maximum and the ripple (max-min), using to output expressions. However, when I export this to  ADE-XL the sweep doesn't work since the IF variables value is set by the global variable. and If I sweep using the global variable then : A. I cannot calculate the maximum gain or ripple automatically . B. I cannot run MC with the sweep on.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Spirito 

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Sep 25 2009 2:34 PM

• alanw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 26 2009
    • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><string>Melbourne, FL</string>
    • Posts 1
    • Points 105
    Re: How do you sweep under ADE-XL Monte Carlo simulation. Reply

Hi Spirito,

I believe that currently an OCEAN measurement is required to do this. Something like:

axlAddOutputs( '( "maxGain" "gainRipple"))   /* Define the output labels to be used in ADE-XL */
                fif_sweep = sweepVarValues("fif" ?result "pss_fd") /* Get the list of IF freq sweep values */

frf_sweep = list()   /* Initialize a list of RF freq sweep values */

/* Create list of RF freq sweep values, RF=6*IF relationship needs to be re-defined here */

for(i 1 length(fif_sweep) 

frf_sweep = append(frf_sweep list(nthelem(i fif_sweep)*6))
                )

gain_sweep = list()   /* Initialize  a list of gain measurements */

for(i 1 length(fif_sweep) /* For all the IF freq sweep values */

fif_value = nthelem(i fif_sweep)   /* Get the IF freq */
                         frf_value = nthelem(i frf_sweep)  /* Get the corresponding RF freq */

/* Calculate the gain */

gain_sweep = append(gain_sweep list(mag(value(famValue(v("/RFout" ?result "pss_fd") fif_value) fif_value) /
                                                                    value(famValue(v("/RFin" ?result "pss_fd") fif_value) frf_value)) ) )
                )

xv = drCreateVec('double fif_sweep)   /* X-axis - the IF freq sweep points */          

yv = drCreateVec('double gain_sweep) /* Y-axis - the conversion gain values */

wave = drCreateWaveform(xv yv)  /* Create a conversion gain waveform - can plot this */

axlOutputResult(ymax(wave) "maxGain")  /* Export max gain measurement */
                axlOutputResult(ymax(wave)-ymin(wave) "gainRipple") /* Export gain ripple measurement */

One caveat though - when you run Monte Carlo in ADE-XL, turn off "Save Data to Allow Family Plots". When that's enabled, you need additional indexing to pull the measurement value off of an individual conversion gain waveform.

In the ADE-XL test editor,  under Outputs->Setup, set Measure Type to OCEAN and then point to a file containing a script similar to above.

Alan

Alan Whittaker
    CIC Proliferation Group
    Analog, RF and Mixed-Signal IC
    Melbourne, FL USA
    321-674-2402
    alanw@cadence.com
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Spirito at 07 Sep 2009 05:07 AM. Topic has 1 replies.