Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Cadence IC 6.1.0 Simulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Cadence IC 6.1.0 Simulation 

Last post Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:33 PM by tkhan. 10 replies.
Started by Tinaliao 14 Jul 2009 10:01 AM. Topic has 10 replies and 3821 views
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jul 14 2009 10:01 AM

• Tinaliao
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 14 2009
    • Posts 8
    • Points 160
    Cadence IC 6.1.0 Simulation Reply

When run the spectre simulation in ADE of cadence. it always has the following problem. 

error: (Default-reader-method) generic: nlGetnetlister class:list

it seems that it could not generate the netlist of the circuit.

How to fix this problem?  Thank you.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jul 14 2009 4:00 PM

Re: Cadence IC 6.1.0 Simulation Reply

This problem has occurred a couple of times, most recently in 5.10.41.500.6.131 and 6.1.3.500.8. It was fixed in the 5.10.41.500.6.132 and 6.1.3.500.9 subversions.

The workaround is to put:

unless(isContextLoaded("asimenv")
    loadContext(prependInstallPath("etc/context/asimenv.cxt"))
    )

Into your .cdsinit file. This forces the asimenv context to be loaded early enough.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Jul 14 2009 5:50 PM

• Tinaliao
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 160
    Dear Mr. Beckett,

Thank you very much. Since I found this file is a readonly file and I have no permission to change it. I will ask our computer administration to change it tomorrow and then do my simulation again to see whether the problem is solved or not. If I have further question, I will contact you.

You help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Tina
  • Tue, Jul 14 2009 10:46 PM

If you don't have a personal .cdsinit file, you could always stick the statements in a file (say, fix.il) and then type load("fix.il") manually in the CIW after starting virtuoso.

Regards,

Andrew
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 9:34 AM

• Tinaliao
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 160
    Dear Mr. Beckett,

Thank you very much. But there is another problem.  After loading that file, the original problem is solved, but my CDS.log file which defines the path of the library I defined is locked and I can't access the library I defined. How can I fix it?

Thanks,
    Tina
    • Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 10:24 AM

I'm confused. Why would a CDS.log define where your library is? It's a log file...

Perhaps you meant cds.lib?

Even then, is it locked by virtue of having a cds.lib.cdslck file alongside it? If so, who is locking it? Or do you mean it's readonly? Even so, I don't see why that would prevent you accessing a library defined within it.

I think you need to clarify what the problem is.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:04 PM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220

sometimes if you don't exit icfb/virtuoso gracefully (i.e. a core dump, accidentally logging out, etc...) the .cdslck file doesn't get deleted and your designs which were open stay 'in limbo'. to remove any .cdslck files in your home folder type the following in terminal

find ~ -name "*.cdslck" -exec rm -f {} \;

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:21 PM

• Tinaliao
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 160
    I changed the fix.il file to another path and the problem is solved. Thank you very much. Your reply is really helpful.

Best,
    Tina
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:12 PM

tkhan:

sometimes if you don't exit icfb/virtuoso gracefully (i.e. a core dump, accidentally logging out, etc...) the .cdslck file doesn't get deleted and your designs which were open stay 'in limbo'. to remove any .cdslck files in your home folder type the following in terminal

find ~ -name "*.cdslck" -exec rm -f {} \;

In general, you should not have to delete .cdslck files. I am always wary when people do this, because I've seen over zealous deletion of lock files leading to loss of data, because they blew away lock files which were preventing concurrent editing of data.

There is a well behaved standed lock recovery mechanism in the Cadence IC tools. What happens is that when you try to open a cellView (or indeed any file that uses the lock mechanism), it checks to see if it is locked. If there is a lock file, it consults the contents of the file, as this has info to say what machine the lock is on, and what the process id of the locking process is. Virtuoso then tries to talk to a process called "clsbd" on that machine, and asks if that process is still alive. clsbd returns either true or false (clsbd stands for Cadence Locking System Boolean Daemon, since it doesn't manage the locks, just returns true or false if the process is alive). 

If clsbd returned false, then the lock can safely be recovered, and that's what happens. If it returns true, then the lock is valid. If it couldn't talk to clsbd (maybe the process isn't running, or the machine is not reachable), then it errs on the side of caution and assumes it is still locked.

clsbd is started automatically the first time you run the IC tools on a machine if the process is not already running. Sometimes people start it up at boot time, just to be sure.

So typically the only time you would need to remove lock files is if the machine which previously had the lock is no longer available - it's down for an extended period of time, say. Or if nobody has run a Cadence IC tool on the machine after a reboot. In such cases, deletion of the lock files is reasonable, although we do have a tool "clsAdminTool" to help you locate lock files, and delete them in a controlled manner - for example, you can delete just those owned by a particular machine/process id, so you leave the valid locks. It's a bit more controlled than blind file deletion...

I've seen cases where over-zealous sys admins have blocked the ports that clsbd uses, stopping it from being able to communicate. Anyway, more info on the ports can be found in the Cadence Application Infrastructure Guide.

I felt it was important to explain this. I've been at customer sites where I've been told "Cadence sometimes throws away my edits, even though I saved them". I then found out by doing a bit of digging and found that it was routine to delete lock files, and so actually often there were two people editing at once - in this scenario, whoever saves last wins, effectively overwriting the other person's edits.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:15 PM

Tinaliao:
    I changed the fix.il file to another path and the problem is solved. Thank you very much. Your reply is really helpful.

Best,
    Tina

I can't really see how moving the file to a different location can make any difference whatsoever, and it doesn't tie in with what you said previously. But never mind, you have it working now.

Regards,

Andrew. 

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:33 PM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Andrew. I'll look over the CAI users guide and perhaps advise our network admin to have clsbd run as a startup daemon. 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Tinaliao at 14 Jul 2009 10:01 AM. Topic has 10 replies.