Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > can lay out engineer change the width of a resistor?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

can lay out engineer change the width of a resistor? 

Last post Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:07 PM by Andrew Beckett. 4 replies.
Started by VEERA PRAMOD 02 Jul 2009 09:05 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 1271 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 9:05 PM

• VEERA PRAMOD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 11 2009
    • Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
    • Posts 11
    • Points 330
    can lay out engineer change the width of a resistor? Reply

Hi all...

Can layout engineer change the width of a resistror by keeing the resistance constantly as in schematic? And what is the minimum length of  a resistor ?is it depends on width?

Thnk you.

Veera Pramodu Kotrika.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 10:15 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915
    Re: can lay out engineer change the width of a resistor? Reply

Hi Veera,

Did you really just ask this question?  I'm surprised that such a basic question is being asked, did Google not provide an answer?

Anyway, to answer your question, the resistance of a wire (and a resistor made of resistive material, therefore) is directly proportional to the length of the wire and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area.  There's a formula for this:

R = p L
           A

Where R is the resistance, "p" is rho, a resistivity constant, and L and A are length and area respectively. When laying out a resistor, you do not have control over the thickness of the resistive material (usually, but there might be some process out there...) but you do have control over the width - obviously Area = thickness X width so the area is directly proportional to the width.

The minimum length will depend on the process limits, and these are most likely to be set and enforced by the Process Design Kit, likewise the width will have a minimum as defined by the manufacturing process.

Hopefully this answers your question, if not, please read the hint in my first line of response.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:03 PM

• VEERA PRAMOD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 11 2009
    • Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
    • Posts 11
    • Points 330
    Hi Lawrence,

My designer has provided a resistor w/l as 1.5u/15.My doubt is may i change it to 2u/20 or 1u/10u width & length respectively with out the designer permission.If it is a simple question to you i'm sorry.Really i don't know may i do like this or not.

Thank you.

Veera Pramodu Kotrika.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:05 PM

Lawrence,

I suspect the question is more to do with whether the specific PDK being used allows the width of the resistor to be changed, keeping the resistance constant.

However, that would be entirely dependent on the design kit, and since Veera didn't say which it was, nobody could realistically answer.

That said, one should be wary of changing the width because the designer will have simulated the design with a particular width - this may be important for matching reasons - and it may also have some more subtle effects depending on how it is modelled.

Regards,

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:07 PM

Veera,

See my response I just sent. In general the answer would be that you could do this, but it depends on the PDK you're using, and you didn't say what that is.

Regards,

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by VEERA PRAMOD at 02 Jul 2009 09:05 PM. Topic has 4 replies.