Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Issue with subckt view

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Issue with subckt view 

Last post Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:57 AM by Jon CY. 3 replies.
Started by Jon CY 24 Jun 2009 05:00 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1763 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jun 24 2009 5:00 PM

• Jon CY
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 24 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    Issue with subckt view Reply

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and am not sure where to put this post. If this is the wrong place, please kindly redirect me to where I should post this and I would be more than happy to post there and delete this post.

I am a relatively new user of Cadence (I am using Cadence Virtuoso 6.1.0) and am trying to use a .cir model downloaded from Analog Devices in my schematic to more accurately model an amplifier stage.  I am following the approach given by Frank Wieldermann in the comments of this link (http://www.cadence.com/Community/blogs/rf/archive/2009/01/07/tip-of-the-week-how-to-simulate-a-subcircuit-netlist-with-spectre-in-ade.aspx) however I am having several issues.  I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but it's just been very overwhelming.  This is what I've done so far:

(1) I've used spp to convert my .cir to a spectre netlist, .scs.
    (2) Since I am using a newer version of Cadence, and scasubckt is CDB and not OA, I tried to convert the scasubckt cell using cdb2oa. However, after instantiating it, I ran into netlist procedure errors.
    (3) Therefore, I am trying the myparsubckt that's mentioned in the comments of the above link, i.e.

There is a sourcelink.cadence.com solution 11013814: "How to create parameterized symbol for external subckt" which you may find useful. Sourcelink users may access this information by clicking on the link below.

http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2003/Nov/11013814.html

As it stands now, I have instantiated myparsubckt and have given it my spectre netlist.  

Now the issue is, when I simulate it, I get this error: "Unable to descend into any of hte views defined in the view list, 'spectre cmos_sch cmos.sch veriloga schematic" for the myparsubckt cell.  I realize that this is because the only view in the myparsubckt cell is "symbol."  To this end, I realize that I have to add another view (e.g. veriloga, or spetre, or schematic, or something).

But it's not intuitive to me to see what view I should add, and how I should add it.  If you download myparsubckt from the sourcelink site, and load all the files, the myparsubckt cell has only a symbol view, and I realize that "more information" is required to successfully simulate it.  Can anyone tell me what view I should add, or how I should do it?

And better yet, if anyone has experience using a .cir SPICE model and being able to instantiate it as a symbol view -- and is willing to help a relatively new user of Cadence, who has spent countless days in misery trying to get this to work! -- I would be more than grateful!

Thank you,

Jon

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jun 24 2009 8:14 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915
    Re: Issue with subckt view Reply

Hi Jon,

I think this is exactly the right place to ask this question.

It seems as though you may have missed an important point in the Solution, namely:

Once you have loaded the first two files and created the pcell, you need to copy the symbol view to the spectre view to create the stopping view.

Hopefully once you have copied the symbol view to the spectre view, you will be able to netlist without any further issue.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Thu, Jun 25 2009 2:07 AM

Thanks Lawrence for replying - I was about to (as the solution referred to was written by me!).

Anyway, the other thing I'd like to point out that you shouldn't need to use spp to convert to spectre syntax. spp is deprecated as spectre can read SPICE syntax files natively these days (actually it always could, but didn't have very complete SPICE coverage; now it is much more comprehensive since the front end was rewritten for the MMSIM releases of spectre).

Regards,

Andrew. 

• Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:57 AM

• Jon CY
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 24 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Thanks, Andrew and Lawrence!!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Jon CY at 24 Jun 2009 05:00 PM. Topic has 3 replies.