Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > How to create a mosfet pcell with auto-abutment capability

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to create a mosfet pcell with auto-abutment capability 

Last post Tue, May 26 2009 2:25 AM by Andrew Beckett. 2 replies.
Started by mike0317 19 May 2009 10:23 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 2955 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, May 19 2009 10:23 PM

• mike0317
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 19 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    How to create a mosfet pcell with auto-abutment capability Reply
     Hi, all.

I am currently working on some pcells under 90nm technology. And I have finished the mosfet without specifying its connectivities. Then I find the auto-abutment capability of virtuoso XL could be very useful for our project, so I followed the instructions in virtuoso XL user guide to alter my nmos pcell. However, no matter what I do, the abutment can never triggered, I have already opened the abut server, abut device and connectivity extractor options. I even tried the sample pcells of cadence, but still can not see abutment occur.

Therefore. I wonder could you please give me some detailed guidence about how to declare the pins of a mosfet pcell( such as G. S, D ) to meet the abutment requirements, and how to make auto-abutment happen? And how can I debug my skill code to find where I made mistakes?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes!

Mike
    Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • Sun, May 24 2009 9:41 PM

• mike0317
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 19 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    Re: How to create a mosfet pcell with auto-abutment capability Reply

Oh. I have been waiting for so long... Can anybody please help me?

I think Auto-abutment is a very  important feature of virtuoso which could be useful in many applications. 

Thanks again!

Looking forward to your greatful help.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, May 26 2009 2:25 AM

Re: How to create a mosfet pcell with auto-abutment capability Reply

Some information can be found in sourcelink solution 11025584, but let me summarize here.

The key thing is that you must have connectivity - you need pins on the objects. So, assuming that, it works this way:

1. Create the abutFunction property on the pins (i.e. the pin object itself) to be abutted. For a MOSFET this would often be the diffusion pins, rather than metal pins - because the metal pins may not exist after abutment.
    2. The pin name (not the terminal name) must be kept before and after abutment - so generally speaking you'll want to give the pins well-defined and predictable names.

Did you look in the vxlhelp manual <ICinstDir>/vxlhelp/vxlhelp.pdf ?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mike0317 at 19 May 2009 10:23 PM. Topic has 2 replies.