Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > ARM libraries, IBM PDK, Cadence PVS questions...

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

ARM libraries, IBM PDK, Cadence PVS questions... 

Last post Fri, May 1 2009 8:42 AM by tkhan. 2 replies.
Started by weiz 29 Apr 2009 08:45 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 3121 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 8:45 PM

• weiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • Posts 5
    • Points 100
    ARM libraries, IBM PDK, Cadence PVS questions... Reply

Hi all, 

I have several questions regarding ARM libraries, IBM PDK, and Cadence PVS. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place

ARM Libraries
    1. Has anyone used it before? Does it have layout view for Cadence Virtuoso tool

IBK PDK
    1. After I installed it, I got the following warning message in Virtuoso CIW

Quote:

*WARNING* Modifier Meta is unassigned, illegal or disabled.
    *WARNING* Invalid bindkey key string: Meta<Key>Insert
    *WARNING* Modifier Meta is unassigned, illegal or disabled.
    *WARNING* Invalid bindkey key string: Meta<Key>Insert

This is just the first 4 lines of the 50-60 lines warning message. I think this has something to do with the bindkey file (ibmPdkBindkeys.il). Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. Another warning message I saw in Virtuoso is as followed
    Quote:

\w *WARNING* No user triggers registered for viewType schematic.
    \w *WARNING* No user triggers registered for viewType schematicSymbol.

This warning message appears after the SKILL file ibmPdkMenu.def is loaded. I wasn't able to locate the cause of this problem. Can anyone help?

3. For those that have used IBM 45nm 12SOI PDK, I have a specific question on the nmos/pmos cell. I am really confused because in both cells, there are two "poly-like" instances that are parallel (and have the same length) with the gate poly and they are above/below drain/source of the transistor. Does anyone know what that is?

Cadence PVS
    1. Is Cadence QRC included as part of Cadence PVS?
    2. I think I have access to PVS70 and PVS80, can anyone tell me what's the difference between them?

Thanks in advanced!

Filed under: , , , ,
    • Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 9:04 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915
    Re: ARM libraries, IBM PDK, Cadence PVS questions... Reply

Hi,

Regarding your IBM PDK items 1. and 2., I think that these are just warnings that can be ignored.  I believe that they are due to programming that could be written better (e.g. try not to cause them in the first place, or failing that, swallow them so that they do not reach the user if they cannot be avoided programmatically, i.e. getWarn() ).

For 1. I believe that the Meta key is on the Sun keyboard, so if you are not on the Solaris platform, this will not be a valid bindkey.

For 2. I believe this is caused by a call to deUnRegUserTriggers() without first checking to actualy see if there are user triggers to unregister, hence the warnings.  This could certainly be avoided (if my suspicions are correct) by more judicious programming.

I will have to leave the remaining items for others to address.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, May 1 2009 8:42 AM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220
    Re: ARM libraries, IBM PDK, Cadence PVS questions... Reply

I answered this on another forum, but I'll post here for anyone else who is interested:

ARM:

1. Never used it myself but i think its a set of standard cells for I/O and reference circuits. I don't think they give you layout view, but a blackbox which is filled in by the foundry during fab. Refer to: http://www.mosis.com/Technical/Designsupport/artisan-university.html

IBM:

1. I'm not sure, see if you have other bindkey sets in your <path_to>/IBM_PDK/.../.../cdslib/Skill folder and try one of those. You can change which bindkey set you use by editing your .cdsinit file. Maybe CIW doesn't like the ibmPdkSetBindKey() command in the bindkey definitions? Make sure your environment is set up properly.  (I think skillUser's answer is the correct one)

2. Check here: http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/t/11820.aspx. I get these errors also (using cmrf8sf), and I haven't encountered any problems that could be related to these.

3. I havent used 12soi, try asking support(at)mosis.com or on http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MOSIS_Users_Group/.

PVS/QRC:
    QRC is part of EXT stream. You can download the QRC definitions from MOSIS if you are a customer. To enable QRC (replaces Assura RCX), you should set QRC_ENABLE_EXTRACTION="t" in your startup script.

Hope this helps.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by weiz at 29 Apr 2009 08:45 PM. Topic has 2 replies.