Home > Community > Forums > Hardware/Software Co-Development, Verification and Integration > Transformer Models and Libraries in PSpice and Capture

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Transformer Models and Libraries in PSpice and Capture 

Last post Tue, Mar 24 2009 7:56 AM by oldmouldy. 1 replies.
Started by Nils12 24 Mar 2009 04:59 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 23469 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 24 2009 4:59 AM

• Nils12
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Transformer Models and Libraries in PSpice and Capture Reply

Due to my actual project I have to create and use a lot of different transformer models with many inductances, that are coupled in different ways.

At the moment I only use linear models. I've found out there are only two possibilities to integrate coupled inductances into my design:

1. XFRM_LINEAR in the analog.olb Library of Capture ( Orcadx.x\tools\capture\library\pspices\analog.olb )
    2. K_Linear, also in the analog.olb Library of Capture ( Orcadx.x\tools\capture\library\pspices\analog.olb )

The first one you can only use for a transfomer with 2 windings at all. With the second one you can couple six inductances of your choice with a self defined coupling factor. Is this right ?

But for my astonishment there are many capture transformer models in the DESCRETE.olb library, but no model seems to be associateted with them, because I can insert them into my shematic, but the transformers aren't listed in the produced netlist for simulation. I think this are only shematic symbols for capture and not ready to use models. Is this right? Do you have to create a transfomer model with the transformer designer and associate it with the shematic first before you can use it ?

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Mar 24 2009 7:56 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    Re: Transformer Models and Libraries in PSpice and Capture Reply

Yes that's correct. The K_Linear couples up to 6 arbitrary windings, 2 or more, without saturating, you can extend the model / PSpice Template as required for more windings, for K_Linear, winding values are henries. There is a K_Break and other K "core" parts in the magnetic library that can also couple up to 6 arbitrary windings, 1 or more, again this can be extended for more windings, these core models have saturation and winding values are in turns. You can also use the magnetic parts editor to create models based upon typical magnetic structures and associate these with schematic parts for simulation.

The schematic parts in the Discrete library are for PCB Design and do not have a PSpice Template to associate the schematic part with a model, but this could be added.

SPICE, and therefore, PSpice allows any arbitrary number of inductors to be coupled, the standard schematic parts allow for 6 winding properties which covers the vast majority of requirements. You can create a custom schematic part for the coupling and extend the number of coupled wihdings as required.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Nils12 at 24 Mar 2009 04:59 AM. Topic has 1 replies.