Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > How to run Monte Carlo simulation in Virtuoso ADE L 6.1.3.500.5

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to run Monte Carlo simulation in Virtuoso ADE L 6.1.3.500.5 

Last post Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:10 AM by Andrew Beckett. 12 replies.
Started by Liangr 12 Mar 2009 06:07 AM. Topic has 12 replies and 20713 views
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 6:07 AM

• Liangr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 14 2008
    • Stockholm, 00-SE
    • Posts 2
    • Points 70
    How to run Monte Carlo simulation in Virtuoso ADE L 6.1.3.500.5 Reply

Dear all users and forum administrators,

I am a new IC6.1 user and I use to work on IC5.1.41 for a long time. I feel so many unknown things happened to IC6.1 and some functions are missing in the ADE.

In the new ADE 6.1.3, I could not find a way to do Corner or Monte Carlo simulation with OA design kits. I wonder if it is the problem of tool or design kits and would like to ask for help to experienced users here.

How could you run corner simulation in the new Cadence? Any hints please?

/Best Regards

Leon

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 9:10 AM

• aplumb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,230
    Re: How to run Monte Carlo simulation in Virtuoso ADE L 6.1.3.500.5 Reply
    Step 0: Review Chapter 6 (for Corners) and Chapter 7 (for MC) of the ADE XL User Guide - http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/Docs/adexl/adexl6.1.3/adexlTOC.html
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 9:22 AM

• Jim McMahon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 20 2009
    • San Jose, CT
    • Posts 21
    • Points 355

Hi Leon

In IC 6.1, Monte Carlo analysis has been moved to ADE XL. So you need to create a ADE XL view. Here is a brief set of instructions on how to do this for your existing ADE state setup. For for more complete set of instructions you can refer to the "ADE XL Users Guide".

From your Virtuoso schematic editor window,: select "Launch->ADE XL". Once  the ADE XL window opens you can go to the "Data View" assistant panel and select "Click to Add Test" under "Tests".You will be asked to specify a the design to be used. Afterwards, the "Test Editor" window  will appear. The Test Editor window is essentially the same as the ADE window that you are familiar with. From the Test Editor you can load your saved ADE states by selecting "Session->Load State". You can now close the Test Editor window and return to the main ADE XL window. You are now ready to simulate.

By default, ADE XL will be configured to run single point simulations. To enable Monte Carlo analysis, you will need to change the run mode: Look for the field in the top right corner of the ADE XL "Single Run, Sweeps and Corners". Change this field to "Monte Carlo Sampling". Select the "Simulation OPtions" button beside this field to adjust the number of points, etc. Finally,, select the run button to lbegin  the Monte Carlo.

Jim

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 1:28 PM

• Liangr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 14 2008
    • Stockholm, 00-SE
    • Posts 2
    • Points 70

Thank you all, I found the option and simulation runs. It works fine.

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Jan 3 2012 11:47 PM

• MohE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 4 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    actually i have no access to get the ADE XL manual, as i am student and want to learn about Monte Carlo process which is I heard about it and now want to know more. what is the alternative way that i can get more knowledge please?
    Liangr:

Thank you all, I found the option and simulation runs. It works fine.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 2:36 AM

Just because you're a student doesn't mean that  you don't have access to the documentation. It's included with the software. Use the Help menu at the top right of pretty much any Virtuoso window (e.g. the CIW, or the Schematic Window, or the ADE XL window) and do Help->Virtuoso Documentation - it will bring up the help system (cdnshelp). In ADE XL can also do Help->Contents and it will take you to the contents of the ADE XL manual.

Alternatively run "cdnshelp" from the UNIX command line.

Alternatively go to your installation of the IC tools and under the <ICinstDir>/doc directory there are a load of directories containing html and PDF documentation. For example <ICinstDir>/doc/adexl/adexl.pdf

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:45 AM

• dineshp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160
    In IC6 ADE XL, how do you append the results of 1 MC run to another? I ticked "Save Data to allow family plots" in the Simulation Options form, but I cannot figure out how to append the data from multiple runs.
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 4:32 AM

I don't believe this is possible currently. Please contact customer support and request this (there's an enhancement CCR 984209 asking for this - if you request this a duplicate can be filed).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:32 AM

• dineshp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160
    Ah, thanks very much for clarifying this as I was wasting a lot of time figuring out how to do this. It was trivial to do in IC5.
  • Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:25 AM

• dovestreet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 8 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hello leao:

I am a beginer of the  the simulation of monte carlo in ADE XL, I run the simulation as told, but it informs "Monte Carlo run stopped because no statistical data generated for the test", when I consult the guide book and search in the web, but I can not find  the reason.Can you help me?  I appreciate for any help.

• Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:53 AM

Please read the forum guidelines. Appending to an old thread from 2009 doesn't make a great deal of sense and is confusing.

You might want to take a look at this post.

Since you've not given much information here, and are using an unsupported version of the tools, is rather hard to know how to help you.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Mar 8 2012 6:07 AM

• dovestreet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 8 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hello Andrew:

Thanks for your quick answer.I appreciate it. After  reading the user guide, in the chapter of monte carlo  analysis, I found the sentences  of the description about stastistics for example (below), which are included in the model library. and I checked my model library (file.SCS) and I can not find these sentence and that means the model enclude the statistics variation. So I ask if these sentenses about stastistics is essential for the monte carlo simulation. 

Thanks a lot

example

stastistics {

process{

vary  dist=

vary  dist =

}

mismatch {

}

• Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:10 AM

Yes, they are essential.

With the statistics block, spectre would be unable to produce any statistical variation of any parameters, and hence there would be no point running monte carlo - it needs to know the distribution of the parameters being varied so that the variation can be meaningful.

Regards,

Andrew.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Liangr at 12 Mar 2009 06:07 AM. Topic has 12 replies.