Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Using C-to-Silicon 

Last post Thu, Mar 12 2009 6:48 AM by marco23. 2 replies.
Started by marco23 11 Mar 2009 02:46 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 2338 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 2:46 AM

• marco23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 11 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    Using C-to-Silicon Reply

Hi everyone, I'm new of this forum.

I must ompare different HLS tools. Today I'mk reading about your C-to-silicon...it is very interesting tool but i don't understand some thing and I hope you can help me.

1- There are a particular way to write c code or c-to-silicon accepts all types? I've read that is not possible to use pointers and somethings like that but a technical help...a paper that can giudes me during writing...is it present?

2- Is Cadence encounter RTL  compiler necessary to make comparison between micro-architectures?

Thanks in advance

Marco

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 1:50 PM

Re: Using C-to-Silicon Reply
    Hi Marco,

The Cadence C-to-Silicon Compiler accepts most built-in and user-defined data types for C, C++, and SystemC.  The required coding styles can be summarized by one major rule that CtoS needs to be able to statically determine all the data structures at compiler time, thus you need to avoid the use of constructs such as dynamic memory and recursive function calls.   Pointers are fine to use as long as CtoS can determine what they will be pointing to.  We have a "Preparing Models for CtoS" Application Note that goes into further details.  Please contact your local Sales rep or AE.

One of the advantages of CtoS is that it has Cadence's RTL Compiler logic synthesis tool built-in, so CtoS is implementation-aware when determining how to generate optimal RTL for decisions like when to squeeze more logic into a clock cycle or whether or not to share large resources.  This helps allow CtoS to often match the QoR of hand-written RTL, plus makes for predictable timing closure with the down-stream logic synthesis.   However, this built-in RTL Compiler is not required for trying multiple micro-architectures.  We have a recommended methodology where you use CtoS to quickly try multiple micro-architectures, then once you find some good candidates, you run it through the flow with fine-grained timing enabled.

Hope this helps.
    -mark
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 6:48 AM

• marco23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 11 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    Re: Using C-to-Silicon Reply
    Dear mark Warren. thanks, your answer is useful for me.

Could you give me "Preparing Models for CtoS"?

Thnak in advance
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by marco23 at 11 Mar 2009 02:46 AM. Topic has 2 replies.