Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > A problem in spectre netlist generation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

A problem in spectre netlist generation 

Last post Wed, Feb 25 2009 10:29 PM by Jim McMahon. 3 replies.
Started by Avanti 24 Feb 2009 12:35 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 3919 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Feb 24 2009 12:35 AM

• Avanti
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 14 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65
    A problem in spectre netlist generation Reply

I used smic0.18  PDK and ic5141 to design my circuit. In Solary OS, when I run simulation in ADE, It generated the spectre netlist correctly.

But when I migrated my design to linux OS, It can't generate the spectre netlist correctly. The W or L  of device nmos/pmos' parameter are missing. And the simulation result is wrong.

The spectre netlist as following:

// Library name: test
    // Cell name: inv12_1p8
    // View name: schematic
    // Inherited view list: spectre spice verilog behavioral functional hdl
    //system verilogNetlist schematic cmos.sch cmos_sch veriloga ahdl
    subckt inv A Y inh_negative inh_positive_1p8
        M1 (Y A inh_negative inh_negative) n18 l=300n as=576f ad=576f ps=3.36u \
            pd=3.36u
        M0 (Y A inh_positive_1p8 inh_positive_1p8) p18 l=300n as=1.152p \
            ad=1.152p ps=5.76u pd=5.76u
    ends inv
    // End of subcircuit definition.

When I generate the cdl netlist, find the following warnings in si.log file.
    ***************************************************************************************************
    WARNING: Netlister: The switch view symbol of cell p18 in library smic18mmrf has no instances, hence is being ignored.
    To netlist this cell, add this view to the stop list and to ignore any particular instance use nlAction="ignore"
    WARNING: Netlister: The switch view symbol of cell n18 in library smic18mmrf has no instances, hence is being ignored.
    To netlist this cell, add this view to the stop list and to ignore any particular instance use nlAction="ignore"
    ***************************************************************************************************

So, the W or L of device nmos/pmos' parameters are missing too.
    Take an invertor as an exmple, the netlist as following:

*******************************************************************************
    * Sub-Circuit Netlist:                                                        *
    *                                                                             *
    * Block: inv                                                             *
    * Last Time Saved: Feb 23 15:00:39 2009                                       *
    *******************************************************************************
    .subckt inv Y inh_negative inh_positive A
    *.PININFO Y:O A:I
    .ends inv

Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Feb 25 2009 1:34 AM

• Jim McMahon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 20 2009
    • San Jose, CT
    • Posts 21
    • Points 355
    Re: A problem in spectre netlist generation Reply

This might be caused by a problem with the switch list and stop list settings. Check your environment setting in the spectre ADE window (unless you are using a hierarchy editor config viewin which case you should edit the config view to set the switch and stop lists). The view name "spectre" should be both in the switch and stop lists. The "symbol" view should not be in either list.

I am not familiar with SMIC PDK, but I would expect to a find a "spectre" view under the n18 and p18 cells. Also, an "auCdl" view for CDL netlisting.

• Wed, Feb 25 2009 1:52 AM

• Avanti
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 14 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65

Thanks to your reply!!

I compared the environment of the OSs and found not to define the netlist type in the .cshrc of linux OS. After added "setenv CDS_Netlisting_Mode Analog" in the .cshrc and reboot the station, every thing is OK!!

Filed under:
  • Wed, Feb 25 2009 10:29 PM

• Jim McMahon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 20 2009
    • San Jose, CT
    • Posts 21
    • Points 355

Hi Avanti

Thanks for the update. Happy to see that you solved your problem. Yes, forgetting to set the "CDS_Netlisting_Mode" environment variable to "Analog" is a common oversight for ADE users....

All the best.

Jim

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Avanti at 24 Feb 2009 12:35 AM. Topic has 3 replies.