Hello,Originally posted in cdnusers.org by elvis
Regarding your Nanoroute inquiries:
1. In general can NanoRoute Ultra be used for structured ASIC routing?
2. A structured ASIC would have preplaced blocks, so the routing problem is somewhat different compared to typical standard cell or block based routing situations. Can NanoRoute Ultra still be used?
3. Also can NanoRoute Ultra make use of preplaced buffers in the structured ASIC to improve timing of nets?
Encounter optDesign can do this. Nanoroute only modifies metal, not instances in the design. OptDesign modifies the instances.
4. Also is it possible to specify routing architectures using NanoRoute Ultra? For example, suppose I wanted to create a routing architecture for my structured ASIC composed of a fixed pattern on metal layers 5 and 6 with customization provided by intermediate via layer 5. Can I somehow specify such a routing structure to NanoRoute Ultra and then make it work with this routing structure during routing?
Yes. You can preroute structures, and have nanoroute complete the routing using only certain layers. Use ecoRouteOnlyInLayers 5:6
5. If Nanoroute Ultra is not really meant for such a problem, is there any workaround that is possible?
You can complete the flow with Encounter and Nanoroute.