Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Creating extracted netlists using script

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Creating extracted netlists using script 

Last post Mon, Feb 23 2009 11:20 AM by coco009. 4 replies.
Started by coco009 28 Jan 2009 11:35 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 2133 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jan 28 2009 11:35 AM

• coco009
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 2 2008
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250
    Creating extracted netlists using script Reply

Hi,

I am trying to simulate my extracted views but am currently having some difficulty creating the actual netlists.

I have a testbench, which instances the device under test. The testbench is a schematic view, whilst the device under test has both schematic and extracted views.

I have added the extracted view onto the switch list using 'envSetVal'. Then I have the following calls in my script:

- design( myLib myCell extracted)

- createNetlist()

However, this fails as the netlister says the testbench does not have an extracted view. I was under the impression that if there was not an extracted view available as with the testbench, then the next view on the switch list would be used for netlisting (in this case the schematic view). Therefore, this should be ok??

Is this the correct method to create extracted netlists, or am I missing something obvious? Do I have to define exactly what cells use what view?

(I should also point out that all my schematic netlisting sims etc work fine. It is just creating the extracted netlists that I am having difficulty with)

Thank you very much in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

coco009

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Feb 20 2009 11:18 AM

• Jim McMahon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 20 2009
    • San Jose, CT
    • Posts 21
    • Points 355
    Re: Creating extracted netlists using script Reply

Are to trying to netlist the testbench schematic or the DUT schematic? From your description it is the DUT schematic that contains the extracted view.

If you want to create a netlist for the DUT schematic ensure that myLib/myCell in design( myLib myCell extracted) matches the DUT libName/cellName. In this case it is not necessary to set the switch list:

design( myDUTLib myDUTCell "extracted" )

If you want to create a netlist for testbench schematic which will include the extracted view for the DUT, then the design() call should be as follows:

design( myTESTBENCHLib myTESTBENCHCell "schematic" )

Jim

• Mon, Feb 23 2009 10:29 AM

• coco009
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250

Dear Jim,

Thanks kindly for your reply.

I managed to fix the problem and it was a rather silly mistake that I had made. My method was correct, however, in my haste to edit the switch list within my .cdsenv, I had actually editted the hspice switch list rather than the spectre switch list. Therefore, when running spectre, the extracted views were never included in the simulations.

Thanks again and I hope I can be of assitance in the future.

Regards

• Mon, Feb 23 2009 10:42 AM

• aplumb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,230

Sounds like you haven't looked into the 'Hierarchical Configuration' approach to managing which representations are in use at netlist/simulation time.  It'll make life a lot easier as you add more variants to the mix, e.g. 'sch_20090223' instead of 'schematic', 'av_RC_70C' instead of 'av_extracted', etc.

See the Cadence Hierarchy Editor User Guide for the details and/or chat with your Cadence Field contacts for quick ramp-up.

Andrew.

• Mon, Feb 23 2009 11:20 AM

• coco009
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250

Thanks Andrew,

Anything that saves time is definately worth a look. I'll investigate this further when I get a chance.

Regards

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by coco009 at 28 Jan 2009 11:35 AM. Topic has 4 replies.