Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Multi-part path makes cadence hang?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Multi-part path makes cadence hang? 

Last post Tue, Dec 2 2008 2:48 AM by stuso. 4 replies.
Started by stuso 20 Nov 2008 06:04 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 2786 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 20 2008 6:04 AM

• stuso
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 3 2008
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,315
    Multi-part path makes cadence hang? Reply

Hi there,

i'm finding that my otherwise ok cadence session is fine UNTIL i draw or re-shape a multi-part path. This multpart path is for a guard ring so i suppose it may be relatively complex in that it does have around 4 sub paths and subtectangles for x5 rows of contacts.

I was wondering if this is a known issue. I have known multi-part paths to casue me issues in various versions of cadence in the past, in that cadence would completely stall and not come back. Howeve in this case it does come back alive after 5mins or so.

My current cadence version is: IC5141_ISR200806270515

Thanks

Stu 

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Nov 20 2008 6:47 AM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 394
    • Points 7,420
    Re: Multi-part path makes cadence hang? Reply

We have seen problems with Multi-part paths (MPPs) with lots of contacts. The larger we make this path, the more contacts the MPP has to maintain, the slower things ran in our session. We finally ended up writing some wrapper code for flattening MPPs. We determined that ultimately we wanted our symbolic contacts placed instead of the sub-rectangles of an MPP, so when we flatten the MPP, we replace the rectangles with symbolic instances. We then decided that since our flatten code does this automatically, we modified our large MPPs to no longer have sub-rectangles in them. We use a temp layer and draw it as a sub path in the MPP. We can still stretch and chop the MPP as usual. When we flatten the MPP later on, we convert the temp layer to contact instances. Stretching and reshaping an MPP with 8 to 10 sub-paths is much more efficient than dealing with thousands of sub-rectangles. In general, we found that all of Cadences ROD objects add a performance hit (we used to use a lot of these in our pcells). The ROD objects are useful, but sometimes you have to use them sparingly so you can take advantage of the features only when it is needed.

-Derek

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 9:03 AM

• stuso
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,315

Hi Derek, thanks for the indepth reply. I'm finding that my narrower mpp's, say with ONE row of contacts/vias, are ok. The wider ones won't get used as often, so we might be able to live with it. I'll see how much the other engineers complain when they use them. i just did a quick estimate and some of these guard rings have around 15,000 contacts, perhaps this is too excessive for cadence to handle, who knows. 

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 9:46 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915

Hi Stu,

You could consider re-implementing the MPP as a PCell; use the enterPath function to gather the points and provide a "rubber-band" outline of the guardring/path, you will not see the details this way, only the outline. Inside the PCell you could use rodFillBBoxWithRects() to create the contact shapes as regular dbObjects without the ROD overhead.  I wrote a MultiPartPath example that uses enterPath to gather the points and then pass on to a creation function (in that case it was not a PCell, but a wrapper to the rodCreatePath() function).  In fact what I am suggesting would not have to be a PCell, you just have a drawing routine that perhaps uses an MPP for the path parts and rodFillBBoxWithRects() for the contact parts.

Look in SourceLink for CCSslotMetal() for the example I mention above. How can I create slotted metal paths?

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Tue, Dec 2 2008 2:48 AM

• stuso
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,315

Hi Lawrence, thanks for the info. I've not had try at this yet but i will get round to it.

Thanks

Stu 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by stuso at 20 Nov 2008 06:04 AM. Topic has 4 replies.