Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > clock tree synthesis.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

clock tree synthesis. 

Last post Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:52 PM by vive. 15 replies.
Started by gops 18 Nov 2008 09:11 PM. Topic has 15 replies and 16028 views
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Nov 18 2008 9:11 PM

• gops
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 24 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 118
    • Points 2,505
    clock tree synthesis. Reply
    How should i manage CTS efficiently. I need to know what all things should be taken care in the clock tree sppecification file for an optimized clock tree. I usually create the .ctsch file from the tool itself. I just used to give the clock buffer and clock inverter foot prints for the purpose. Will this much information create the clock tree in an efficient way? if not please give me some tips to improve my clock tree. thanks gops.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Nov 19 2008 10:24 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585
    Re: clock tree synthesis. Reply

You're off to a great start. The .ctstch file generated by FE is the easiest thing to start with. Then you may want to customize it by allowing only certain buffers/inverters (as you mentioned), or using a NONDEFAULT rule for routing the clock tree, using different values for insertion delay/skew/transition, etc. The test will be to see how timing looks after your clock trees are in and you have done a postCTS optimization. If you are not meeting timing, is it due to the clock tree? Should some of your clocks be grouped (balanced together)?

I would recommend using a double-width double-space NONDEFAULT rule if you have the room. This will improve insertion delay and make the clock less vulnerable to noise.  A lot of designers use only inverters to build the tree. This helps with duty cycle. Another common thing is to limit the buffer/inverter list to just 3 or 4 buf/inv sizes. You may have to run CTS a few times with different settings to get the best results. You'll also want to make sure that everything you intend to be a leaf cell is getting reached, and that you exclude anything you don't want a clock tree built to. I believe the .ctstch file is created based on the SDC constraints, but you can't always tell from those what the true intent of the clocking was. 

• Wed, Nov 19 2008 8:47 PM

• gops
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 24 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 118
    • Points 2,505
    Hi Kari;

Thanks for the reply.

It will be helpful for me if  please give some sample .ctstch file with the modifications you suggested.

thanks n regards
    gops
  • Thu, Nov 20 2008 11:31 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585

Here's a quick example. Note that I specified a NonDefaultRule called "WideWire". This rule needs to be defined in the tech LEF file first.

You can refer to the User Guide for more information on all the options in the .ctstch file. 

----------------------------------------------------------------- 

ClkGrp
    +clk1
    +clk2 

RouteTypeName CLK_ROUTE
    TopPreferredLayer 5
    BottomPreferredLayer 3
    NonDefaultRule WideWire
    PreferredExtraSpace 0
    End

#------------------------------------------------------------
    # Clock Root   : clk1
    # Clock Name   : clk1
    # Clock Period : 2ns
    AutoCTSRootPin clk1
    Period         2ns
    MaxDelay       2ns
    MinDelay       0ns
    MaxSkew        150ps
    SinkMaxTran    200ps
    BufMaxTran     200ps
    AddDriverCell  CLKBUFX16
    Buffer         CLKINVX8 CLKINVX12 CLKINVX16
    NoGating       NO
    DetailReport   YES
    SetDPinAsSync  YES
    SetIoPinAsSync YES
    RouteClkNet    YES
    RouteType      CLK_ROUTE
    END

# Clock Root   : clk2
    # Clock Name   : clk2
    # Clock Period : 2ns
    AutoCTSRootPin clk2
    Period         2ns
    MaxDelay       2ns
    MinDelay       0ns
    MaxSkew        150ps
    SinkMaxTran    200ps
    BufMaxTran     200ps
    AddDriverCell  CLKBUFX16
    Buffer         CLKINVX8 CLKINVX12 CLKINVX16
    NoGating       NO
    DetailReport   YES
    SetDPinAsSync  YES
    SetIoPinAsSync YES
    RouteClkNet    YES
    RouteType      CLK_ROUTE
    END

• Wed, Feb 4 2009 5:56 AM

Hello Kari,

I' m using a similar clock specification file:

ClkGroup
          + reset_n
          + clk

# Sample Route Type Command
    RouteTypeName        CK1
    PreferredExtraSpace    1
    TopPreferredLayer        5
    BottomPreferredLayer     4
    Shielding   VDD VSS
    End

# Sample Gated CTS Command
     AutoCTSRootPin  clk
     Period            1ns
     MaxDelay      10ps
     MinDelay      0ps
     SinkMaxTran   5ps
     BufMaxTran    5ps
     RootInputTran 5ps    
     MaxSkew           1ps
     LevelBalanced         YES
     NoGating     rising
     MaxDepth      10
     RouteType     CK1
     DetailReport  NO
     RouteClkNet   YES
     PostOpt     YES
     OptAddBuffer  NO
     LeafPin
     + I2/CP rising
     + I0/CP rising
     + I1/CP rising

AddDriverCell CKBXD8
     End

However, when Im trying to synthesize the tree I'm getting the following error:

**ERROR: (SOCCK-657):   No cell is specified for clock clk in the clock tree specification file.
    **ERROR: (SOCCK-427):   The clock tree specification file contains an error at line 47: End

My design is a simple shift register with 3 FFs, with the clock input named 'clk'. Do you have any idea what the problem might be??

Thanks,

Alex

• Wed, Feb 4 2009 7:27 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585

Hi Alex,

Looks like you're missing the "Buffer" line, telling CTS which buffers or inverters to use to build the tree. Add that in and let me know if it fixed the problem.

- Kari

• Wed, Feb 4 2009 9:09 AM

Hi Kari,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Yes, that fixed it! The reason I omitted the 'Buffer' line is because I specified 'OptAddBuffer NO' since I do not want the CTS to insert any buffers in my design. However, it does insert them. How can I avoid this? Also, when the tree is routed (due to the 'RouteClkNet YES'), other nets are also routed. So my other question is: When I do the Nanoroute (after CTS) in order to route nets properly (I need to apply some MATCH constraints) will this affect the quality of the clock tree?

Thank you again,

Alex

• Wed, Feb 4 2009 11:53 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585

Hi Alex,

I'm a bit confused. If you don't want to build a clock tree, why are you running CTS? :-)

The OptAddBuffer line is to control whether or not buffers/inverters are added during an optimization of the tree AFTER it is built.

After your CTS run, the other nets you see routed are probably just trialRoutes. You will still need to route them for real with nanoRoute. You don't have to worry about the clock nets though; after being routed with nano during CTS, they are marked fixed. The more typical problem is having violations when routing the rest of the design because nano really needed to slightly move a clock net in order to connect a signal net. To allow nano to be able to move signal nets, you would do the following before calling routeDesign:

changeUseClockNetStatus -noFixedNetWires

This will allow nanoRoute to move a clock wire if it has to. We have never seen this affect the clock timing.

Since it seems you don't want to build a clock tree (but I may not fully understand your intent), I would suggest just routing your clock nets first with nano:

# ROUTE CLOCKS ONLY FIRST
      selectNet -allDefClock
      setNanoRouteMode -routeSelectedNetOnly true
      globalDetailRoute

#unfix clock routes so nano can fix violations
      changeUseClockNetStatus -noFixedNetWires

# ROUTE EVERYTHING ELSE
      setNanoRouteMode -routeSelectedNetOnly false
      globalDetailRoute

- Kari
  • Thu, Feb 5 2009 12:51 AM

Hi Kari,

What I want with my design is a single buffer near the clock input (thus the AddDriverCell line) and after that I need to have only a balanced tree all the way to the leaves (thus the LevelBalanced YES line). Just to give you a better idea of what I'm doing, I've been given a schematic of a design (and its corresponding Verilog netlist) and I was asked to transform this exact design into layout without the addition of any cell that is not already in the schematic. As I mentioned, the schematic has a single specific buffer driving the flops and assumes a balanced tree until the leaves. Sorry for the confusion.

I know that's a weird bit of spec (usually in my designs I dont care about inserted buffers -after all they are there to get the job done), but that's (engineering) life!

Thank you again,

Alex :-)

• Thu, Jul 29 2010 11:32 PM

• chaitu1488
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 30 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

I have many doubts and am encountering many situations in the cadence encounter,

first of all i am getting the following error in the clock tree synthesis:

**ERROR: (SOCCK-114): No valid clock tree root specified.

actually i am using a clock for my module. What may i have done  wrong that i got this error?

I have another doubt. as i dont know where to post, i am posting it here in this message itself.

I have a module wherin i am using a ROM from the faraday's memory maker.The memory maker is giving an lef file for the rom we want.

what order should we include the lef files for a 6 metal layer libraries?

meaning should i include rom.lef  first in the list or last? i hope it is last because the import was done perfectly. I want to know what is the significance of the order of the lef files.

also i encountered another problem because of the rom.lef file.

i dont know the error log number, but it happens during the special route 

it says something like this:

Reading LEF technology information...

*ERROR*  "../rom1/rom1.lef", line 44: SITE core not defined at or near "core"

Filed under:
  • Mon, Aug 16 2010 11:06 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585

LEF order: the tech lef needs to be first, then the macro lefs can be read in any order. Make sure the macro lefs do not contain the tech info (metal layer definitions, via definitions, spacing info, etc.)

ROM LEF error: hard to tell what's happening without more info, but it could be that the definition for the SITE called "core" was not read in. But, hard macros like RAMs, ROMs, etc don't need a site to be placed. You can probably comment out the SITE definition from the ROM macro LEF.

clock tree root: I'm assuming this is happening when you try to build the clock tree. Encounter is telling you that no clock root has been defined. Check your .ctstch file (the clock spec file) and make sure the root you're specifying there really exists.

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 6:09 AM

• Wizman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 17 2010
    • Moscow reg., Russia
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

Please clarify the goal of the limitation of the buffer/inverter list? thanks 

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 6:22 AM

The list is required in order to specify the standard cells (inverters/buffers) that the CTS engine will use to create the clock tree. This gives you the opportunity to control which buffers/inverters will be used and therefore affect the quality of the generated clock tree by allowinfg or restricting the use of specific cells. From my experience, using inverters gives a better clock tree in terms of skew and clock insertion delay but you will need to experiment with different options to find the optimum solution.

Hope this helps,

Alex  

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 11:52 AM

• Yemelya
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 17 2010
    • Posts 60
    • Points 870

Hello,

How can I generate a useful skew, during CTS, only for particular leafs, for example if early clock is required at clock pin of a memory?

Thank you very much!
    Boris.

• Tue, Feb 1 2011 12:28 PM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585

Use a Macro Model for the memory clock pins. This is covered in the Clock Tree chapter in the user guide.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
Started by gops at 18 Nov 2008 09:11 PM. Topic has 15 replies.