Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > GND plane shaping

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

GND plane shaping 

Last post Tue, Nov 18 2008 2:48 AM by steve. 3 replies.
Started by Prasanna 14 Nov 2008 01:24 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1916 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 1:24 PM

• Prasanna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 16 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,705
    GND plane shaping Reply

Hi all,

The board on wich I am working is having curved outline. Its purely semicircle like " C ". It's a 4 layer board having  TOP, GND VCC and BOT layer. Now I would like to have GND plane shape semicircle too. But I am do not know how to get it done in Orcad PCB editor 16.0.

plz let me know how to make GND plane outline curved. and..

I am using positive planes for both GND and VCC. Is it ok for designing ? If not, then how to use negative plane. Once I have selected      -ve plane  option in crosssection setup, then I was not able to see any planes inside the board. so I am bit confused about this  -ve and +ve plane concept. Plz can anybody help me to sort out?

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 2:45 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,440
    • Points 24,520
    Re: GND plane shaping Reply

+VE shapes are fine and recommended.

You can copy the Board Outline, for example, with Edit>Z-Copy, set the Options for the Destination Class and Subclass, like ETCH and GND, create a dynamic shape, set the "contract" option to contract the shape by a fixed amout to be inside the shape being copied, then left-click on the boundary of the source shape. A new shape will be created. Right-click>DOne to accept. To assign a net name, use Shape>Select Shape or Void, left-click on the shape just created, go to the Net Name entry in Options and use the "..." button to browse the design nets for a net to assign, OK back through the net selection and right-click>Done to complete the assignment. Repeat for the other shape.

• Mon, Nov 17 2008 7:40 AM

• Prasanna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 16 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,705

thans for replying.....

I did all the setup for Z copy. But I am not able to select the board outline in this. Means board outline is not getting selected. In command prompt window its  showing as:

Select cline, shape, rectangle or closed polygon.
    Enter selection point
    last pick:  -1497.151  2584.523
    Not a closed polygon or CLine. Element ignored!
    Enter selection point

that means it's not considering outline as a closed  shape. my board is having curved,flattened, and Have joined few segment to make complete board outline. It looks good. but I don't know why it's not taking it as closed one..

pls suggest me.....

• Tue, Nov 18 2008 2:48 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,239
    • Points 20,180

It sounds like your board profile is not one item. You need to use shape - compose shape and create one item for your board profile. You will then be able to use zcopy.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Prasanna at 14 Nov 2008 01:24 PM. Topic has 3 replies.