Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Shape disappering after changing constraints

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Shape disappering after changing constraints 

Last post Tue, Nov 18 2008 6:55 AM by bulldog. 8 replies.
Started by mvonahnen 14 Nov 2008 11:00 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 2184 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 11:00 AM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2008
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435
    Shape disappering after changing constraints Reply

I updated some clearance constraints, which caused all of my dyanmic shapes to be out of date.  When I did an update, one of my shapes would not update.  I can not select it, it does not show up.  I thought that the shape must have been deleted, but when I replaced it, the new one also disappeared and would not update.  Whats going on?

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 12:15 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,454
    • Points 24,710
    Re: Shape disappering after changing constraints Reply

There may be overlapping shapes, a couple of things to try, turn off all colours and turn on just the boundary for the etch layer in question, just seeing the boundary might help. Check the Status for unassigned shapes, if there are any, run an Unassigned shapes report, this will list the unassigned shapes and locations, try picking the shape and moving it off the board, Edit>Move, Find to Shapes, pick shape, in the command window, "ix <some_amount>", or "iy <some_amount>", and enter, "<some_amount>" should be enough to move the shape off the board and memorable enough to use it as a negative amount to move the shape back. As the shape(s) are moved off the board, turning the etch on may expose the problem, like repeated shapes at the same location. Delete the excess shape(s) and move the shape(s) back, normal service should be resumed after updating the shapes to smooth.

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 12:30 PM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435

What is the report for unassigned shapes?  I could not match the description in the help file with what reports are available.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 12:32 PM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435

One other point, I can not select the shapes, when try to pick it, it does not show up, yet it is still in the dynamic shape list.

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 12:45 PM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435

This is the output from the shape report:

Shape Settings -------------- Net name P1V2 Class ETCH Subclass PLANE5 Extents (1660.2 951.0) (6012.8 5550.3) Generation Results ------------------ Number of Etch Shapes 0 WARNING: No Etch Shapes Shape Instance Settings ----------------------- Shape fill ---------- 

It does not explain why these etchs are disappearing.

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 2:57 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,454
    • Points 24,710

Try the Shape No Net report.

Also try moving the shapes the you CAN see, out of the way, like off the board, that should eventually leave the "disappeared" shape. You should be able to work with the shape boundaries whatever.

And what happens if you change the contraints back?

It may be unlikely that forum contributors making "blind guesses" are going to chance on the cause of this, you may need to submit the board through the normal support channels for someone to take a look at the actual data.

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 3:14 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 880
    • Points 13,550

Have you tried his suggestion of setting the boundary color (only) on and picking the shape?

You can easily move the shape off board, change its dynamic characteristics, delete it, whatever.

But as said, it's difficult to solve by chance.  You can post boards to this forum (users, free, you get what you pay for) or the Cadence help via sourcelink.

• Sun, Nov 16 2008 9:29 AM

• Ejlersen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • Aalborg, Copenhagen
    • Posts 583
    • Points 10,240

First try doing tools, quick reports, shape report and look for any no etch shapes

Then click the coordinate for this shape and the screen will center around it.

Turn on boundary elements and walk along those until you find something that could cause this problem.

You could also just do a move, select the shape and write ix 0 0 in the command promt to move it 0 in both the x and y direction (same as not moving it)

Hope this helps,

Ole

Best regards Ole
  • Tue, Nov 18 2008 6:55 AM

• bulldog
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 51
    • Points 720

We had this happen also with the shape on the top etch layer.  What seemed to work was changing the individual shape line/cline clearance to be .0001, an extremely small amount over our desired global clearance of 20 mils.  There appears to be a problem with the shape fills in version 16.01.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mvonahnen at 14 Nov 2008 11:00 AM. Topic has 8 replies.