Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > How can I make non-intrusive labels?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How can I make non-intrusive labels? 

Last post Tue, Oct 28 2008 12:24 PM by dmay. 4 replies.
Started by Composter 23 Oct 2008 12:41 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 1931 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 23 2008 12:41 PM

• Composter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 23 2008
    • Posts 16
    • Points 275
    How can I make non-intrusive labels? Reply
    I have a schematic symbol that has a few labels and I want to keep the clutter down i.e. if my parameterized instances have a scale factor of 1 then I don't want to see the "1" beside the symbol on my schematic. One way I've found to do this is to put down an ILLABEL like (hmmm, I can't seem to be able to create a new line in this web form by typing a carriage return!!!) if (cdfParseFloatString(ilInst~>Scale) != 1 then sprintf(nil "%g" cdfParseFloatString(ilInst~>Scale) ) While that does work, the lengthy label definition text yields a big margin around the symbol when doing a full schematic view. If the symbol is at the edge of the page then I get a few more inches of dead space when doing a full view. Is there a way I can get around this (i.e. a much smaller label definition) such that everything is self contained within the symbol - I don't want to require that others who use this symbol also need to take some skill code off my hands. Thanks.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Oct 23 2008 12:58 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,569
    • Points 15,600
    Re: How can I make non-intrusive labels? Reply

Hi,

Do you have a selection box around the symbol?  I'm guessing that you do not, and hence the default selection area around the shape follows the extent of the data inside.  Add one using Create -> Selection Box and choose Automatic (this is the IC61x menu, for IC5141 it is Add -> Selection Box).  This should solve your problem.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Thu, Oct 23 2008 1:49 PM

• Composter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 16
    • Points 275
    I do have a selection box, and the label text extends way beyond it. It seems the selection box works as advertised for selecting the instance, but has absolutely nothing at all to do with the display bounds of the instance.
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Oct 27 2008 11:15 AM

• Composter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 16
    • Points 275
    I'm bumping my question to the top in the hopes there is anybody out there who can help me. The first post tells the story. Perhaps a related question is if I embed some skill code in a cellview parameter (ILExpr) then how do I access that parameter from an ILLabel in the symbol view? Again, the skill code in the expression is rather lengthy and Composer figures out the display bounds for a full schematic view by (wrongly, IMHO) taking into account the full length of the symbol label expressions. Many of my label expressions are so long that a full view yields a teeny tiny schematic because of this effect.
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 12:24 PM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 393
    • Points 7,415

Have you considered defining some functions for your labels? The functions can be smaller strings so the symbol extents won't blow up.

procedure(myLabel() sprintf(nil "cellName: %s" ilInst~>master~>cellName))

The procedure name is then all that is needed for the ilLabel. The procedure can be defined in a file called libInit.il inside the library so it will automatically be loaded when the library is first accessed.

-Derek

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Composter at 23 Oct 2008 12:41 PM. Topic has 4 replies.