Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > help creating a diode model

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

help creating a diode model 

Last post Mon, Oct 20 2008 12:25 PM by skillUser. 1 replies.
Started by eitheror 12 Oct 2008 01:46 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 5971 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Oct 12 2008 1:46 PM

• eitheror
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 12 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    help creating a diode model Reply

I need to know how to add a SPICE model of a diode to an existing symbol, or a new symbol. Here is the model id like to use.

.model D1N5817    D(Is=2.835u Rs=47.12m Ikf=.3227 N=1 Xti=0 Eg=1.11 Cjo=472.4p
    +        M=.6215 Vj=.75 Fc=.5 Isr=37.75u Nr=2)

Im using spectre to run simulations. I found this post of someone who has done this but its not explained how it was accomplished. Is there an online tutorial that covers this, or can someone explain what file i can add my spice model to, and in what format. Thanks.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Oct 20 2008 12:25 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575
    Re: help creating a diode model Reply

Hi,

You could start with "spectre -h diode" to make sure that all the parameters are supported or mapped to the appropriate Spectre diode parameter names (I think that most are, though I did not see an exact match for ikf, or isr, perhaps "ikf" maps to "ik", "ikp", "ikr" or "kf"? and "isr" to "ir", "is" or "isw"?).

Create a file, say diode_D1N5817.scs, and include the appropriate spectre diode model definition, e.g.

model D1N5817 diode is=2.835u rs=47.12m ...

Then have this file as an include file in the Analog Design Environment window aspart of the simulation setup.

Then, place an instance of a diode component, e.g. analogLib diode, and set the model parameter to be the name of the model as named in the file, e.g. D1N5817 - then, when you netlist and simulate, the model file is included and the simulator knows all of the model parameters (plus the instance-specific parameter settings if defined, such as area or region etc.)

I hope that this answers your question.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by eitheror at 12 Oct 2008 01:46 PM. Topic has 1 replies.