Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > Any way to keep all netlist modification from IPO/CTS to lower levels?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Any way to keep all netlist modification from IPO/CTS to lower levels? 

Last post Wed, Oct 29 2008 1:55 PM by Tongju. 2 replies.
Started by Tongju 09 Oct 2008 10:51 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 2347 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 9 2008 10:51 AM

• Tongju
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • San Jose, CA
    • Posts 38
    • Points 505
    Any way to keep all netlist modification from IPO/CTS to lower levels? Reply

I am working on implementing a block using FE. Usually, after I finally achieve timing-closure, I will dump/save verilog netlist and verilog-In the netlist into Cadence dfII to create new schematic for the block, which will reflect the netlist changes from IPO/CTS.  However, at this time, front-end team has a customized top level schematic: lower level symbols are located in proper places; all the wire connections are hand-drawn and clearly labeled...   They love it so much and don't like to lose it. So, they asked me whether or not it is possible to tell FE only put changes to lower level modules duing CTS/IPO and keep top level untouch even during IPO/CTS, then, we only need to verilog-in the lower level module into dfII and top level schematic that they love will survive.

Any body has tried the similar or have a good idea to achieve this?

Thanks,

Tongju

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 12:53 PM

• BobD
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 247
    • Points 9,325
    Re: Any way to keep all netlist modification from IPO/CTS to lower levels? Reply

Hi Tongju,

I don't know of an easy way to make this happen.  You could write a script to identify the top-level nets in the design and "dont_touch" them- the downside to this would be that the portion of the top-level nets in the design would also be dont_touched which would limit optimization more than you'd like perhaps.  Another approach would be to the partition the design and only optimize the design within each of the partitioned blocks which would have the effect you're seeking I believe.

Thanks,
    Bob

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 1:55 PM

• Tongju
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • San Jose, CA
    • Posts 38
    • Points 505
    Re: Any way to keep all netlist modification from IPO/CTS to lower levels? Reply

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your advice. Since there are so many sub-modules in  this block, partitioning the block may be too much for me to do although it may be a very good idea in other situations.  I will try the "dont_touch" on the top-level nets and see how far I can go.

Tongju

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Tongju at 09 Oct 2008 10:51 AM. Topic has 2 replies.