Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Moving from Layout to PCB Editor and I am totally lost!

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Moving from Layout to PCB Editor and I am totally lost! 

Last post Thu, Sep 25 2008 7:09 AM by ReidCrowe. 4 replies.
Started by ReidCrowe 23 Sep 2008 10:44 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 2665 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 10:44 AM

• ReidCrowe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 28 2008
    • Lawrence, KS
    • Posts 6
    • Points 135
    Moving from Layout to PCB Editor and I am totally lost! Reply

I am just trying to export a netlist out of Allegro Design Entry CIS to Allegro PCB Design and I cannot get it to work.  I have created a simple schematic (2 resistors), next I went to Tools > Create Netlist and clicked on the PCB Editor Tab.  Next I selected where by netlist was to be exported to and pressed ok.  My schematic was automatically save and that was it, no other files were created.  What am I doing wrong?

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 12:16 PM

• John Davies
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Glasgow, Strathclyde
    • Posts 45
    • Points 810
    Re: Moving from Layout to PCB Editor and I am totally lost! Reply
    We have had the same problem and it appears to be due to permissions or something deep in the windows registry. Another symptom of the problem is that the configuration file does not appear if you presss the Setup button near "Create PCB Editor netlist" in the netlisting dialog box. The only workaround that I have seen is to run the programs once as administrator.This only has to be done once: it should work for anybody on the computer after that.This problem has arisen several times in this forum and there does not appear to be a better fix. The three netlist files created by Capture for PCB Editor have unusual permissions too. (My system administrators would be thrilled to hear of a better approach!)
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 3:51 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 880
    • Points 13,550

John Davies:
    The three netlist files created by Capture for PCB Editor have unusual permissions too. (My system administrators would be thrilled to hear of a better approach!)

No kidding, can't figure that one out.  Can't copy across a network.  Cadence? Hello?  Any ideas?

Anyway, back to the original problem.  I have *never* seen the issues you guys are talking about and have installed and configured OrCAD/Allegro on numerous customer sites as well as my own computers.

This is what my 'typical' netlist box looks like (see pic).  The path for the symbols must be setup to your library but if you did nothing then your path is the Cadence install path.

The warnings generated may indicate what's going on.

Can you post your netlist.log and netrev.lst files?

Bill 

• Thu, Sep 25 2008 5:05 AM

• John Davies
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Glasgow, Strathclyde
    • Posts 45
    • Points 810

This issue was reported previously in the thread <http://www.orcad.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=20938>. When we have this problem, the dialog box for the netlister looks exactly like yours except that the "Netlist files directory" is empty. You can choose the directory manually but it has no effect. If you click on the Setup button by "Create PCB Editor Netlist" you see that it has not gone to the correct directory to find the configuration file. Again you can select the file manually but it still doesn't work. And if you then click on the button to edit the configuration file you get an error that "The parameter is incorrect".

The outcome is that Capture does not find a configuration file to read so it does nothing after saving the design. There is no report in the log files and no netlists are produced, so I can't respond to redwire's entirely reasonable request for the netlist.log and netrev.lst files. The netlister works fine for Layout rather than PCB Editor.

This seems to happen only on PCs when Capture is run by a user without administrative privileges and an administrator has not used Capture previously. There are no problems for anybody after an administrator has run through the process once. It works fine on the Guest account for my PC, for instance, because I have used the programs as administrator.

We use Windows XP and my system is fully up to date.

• Thu, Sep 25 2008 7:09 AM

• ReidCrowe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 28 2008
    • Lawrence, KS
    • Posts 6
    • Points 135

That solves my problem.  Thank you for your help.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ReidCrowe at 23 Sep 2008 10:44 AM. Topic has 4 replies.