Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > soc encounter output to Magic

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

soc encounter output to Magic 

Last post Tue, Aug 19 2008 7:35 AM by Renee. 4 replies.
Started by Renee 15 Aug 2008 07:23 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 3159 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Aug 15 2008 7:23 AM

• Renee
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 31 2008
    • Posts 57
    • Points 975
    soc encounter output to Magic Reply

I had problems when I exported the routing results from soc encounter to Magic. 

In the SoC encounter, after verifying the results, I saved the design as GDS, and read it into Magic. But it said that there were instances as control_VIA0 and control_VIA1, which I think were the generated vias instances. But I don't have these vias defined in Magic, so when I read the stream file in Magic, it said that it cannot find the cell control_VIA0 and control_VIA1.

Meanwhile, in the soc encounter, the wires indeed connected to the edge of the cell, but when it was imported into Magic, some wires extended over the edge of the cell, while some did not. I don't know why it happened.

Thanks in advance!

Renee

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Aug 15 2008 12:51 PM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 693
    • Points 14,275
    Re: soc encounter output to Magic Reply

Hi Renee,

I don't know anything about Magic, but when you stream an FE gds into Virtuoso, it will create the vias. Maybe there is a switch in Magic you need to set for this to happen?

As for the wire endpoints, I know (at least in the past) that there was a setting in the Virtuoso dfII tech file that controlled half-width extensions. I don't recall the exact name, but again, maybe this is a setting you can check in Magic.

- Kari

• Sat, Aug 16 2008 9:28 AM

• Renee
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 57
    • Points 975

Thank you for your reply!

Now the problem is: in the soc encounter, I checked that no wire extension at pins and all wires just routed to the edge of the cell. When I imported the stream file into cadence, it passed DRC check, but I found that the path properties, for some paths, the begin/end extension value is 0, but for other paths, they are non-zero, also the type, some are flush, and others are variable which enable the begin/end extension value to be edited.

I don't know why did the wire  not extend in the soc encounter (I did not find extension), but do extend in cadence and magic? How can I solve this problem?

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 6:34 PM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 693
    • Points 14,275

Hi Renee,

It is strange that this is only happening to some of your wires and not all of them. Could you post a snapshot of an example in both FE and Virtuoso? Without getting a look at your dfII techfile, it's kind of difficult to further debug. Can you think of anything different about the wires this is happening to vs the ones that are ok? Regular net vs special net, etc.?

- Kari

• Tue, Aug 19 2008 7:35 AM

• Renee
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 57
    • Points 975

Thank you for your reply! I already solved that problem. It seemed that it is a bug in the magic I used. It ignored the pathtype 4 in the stream file, so I edited it, and it worked fine right now.

Thank you again!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Renee at 15 Aug 2008 07:23 AM. Topic has 4 replies.