Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > how to use ADE_L to plot waveform after command line simulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

how to use ADE_L to plot waveform after command line simulation 

Last post Tue, Jun 24 2014 5:43 AM by xianweng. 6 replies.
Started by xianweng 21 Jun 2014 12:07 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 772 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:07 AM

• xianweng
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 1 2012
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265
    how to use ADE_L to plot waveform after command line simulation Reply

hi,everyone

I am simulating a big circuit .When I  use ADE  simulating it,it would take a long time to initialisation,and then begin to simulate.But when I use comnand line to simulate ,for example use command "spectre input.scs" ,it starts  quickly.After it finished,I can use wavescan to plot waveform,but it is not convenient as in ADE using results--direct plot.

My cadence version is IC615 MMSIM13.0

Could anyone tell me  how to use ADE_L to plot waveform after command line simulation?

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:57 PM

• smlogan
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2014
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,710
    Re: how to use ADE_L to plot waveform after command line simulation Reply

Could anyone tell me  how to use ADE_L to plot waveform after command line simulation?

Dear Xianweng,

I am sure many others can respond to your question with very good answers. I didn't see a response, so perhaps this might help:

a. Open ADE-L and, using the Results Browser (under the Tools menu), browse to the directory that contains your results. You can select and plot those signals you have.

b. Alternately, from the CIW, you can open the Results Browser directly (Tools-ADE-L_>Results Browser) 

c. If you do not want to open ADE-L, you can place the two files in the attached file in your ~/bin directory ( or any directory in your search path) and make each executable.  The type "plotsig" with the following syntax and an X window will open that loads your results directory and plots the signal of interest. From the Viva window you can navigate to your results directory or  just type any ocean command into the X window. Teh scritp creates a temporary ocean script that loads your results and plots the desired signal. It is a very simple script, am I am sure others have more elegant solutions. However, I use it very often to check a simulation waveform quickly and it seems to work well for my needs.

plotsig <UNIX_path_to_results> <type of analysis (i.e., tran, ac)> <signal_name _to_plot>

example: plotsig /home/myname/design/workarea/simulation/test_ckt/spectre/myresults tran OUTPUT

I hope this is helpful Xianweng,

Shawn 

• Sun, Jun 22 2014 9:12 AM

• xianweng
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

hi Shawn,

Thank you for reply.Your script is uselful.Thank you.

But I am sorry i did not make it clear.I want to use ADE-L--results--direct plot to plot signal because I can directly click net name of interest on the schematic .Using Results Browser,first,I need open schematic founding hierarchy instance name and net name of interet.Then I can plot the signal,which is less convenient

• Sun, Jun 22 2014 6:47 PM

• smlogan
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2014
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,710

Dear Xianweng,

> .I want to use ADE-L--results--direct plot to plot signal because I can directly click net name of interest on the schematic 

I believe I now understand. If you open ADE-L after running your command line simulation, have you tried selecting your simulation results (under Results->Select, then navigate to your results directory) and then using Results->Direct Plot? If the netlist directory is adjacent to your psf directory and has an amap file, I think you will be able to open the schematic from ADE-L and use the Results->DirectPlot panel to select and plot a signal of interest.

Shawn 

• Mon, Jun 23 2014 7:48 AM

• xianweng
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Dear Shawn,

Thanks a lot,it works!

• Mon, Jun 23 2014 7:58 AM

What I don't really get is why it would be slow starting the simulation in ADE. All it does is create the netlist, then invoke the simulator - there's not much overhead in the way in ADE L. The one exception to this is if using distributed processing, because then you have to wait for the queueing system to submit the job, and there's some synchronization. However, presumably you'd have the same issue with the command line...

Andrew.

• Tue, Jun 24 2014 5:43 AM

• xianweng
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Dear Andrew,

it would be slow because I chaned the results directory.By defaults,it would be "~/simulation" ,but my home directory is too small to store big wave data.If I don not change it ,ADE L will create netlist very fast.However,if i change it to other directory ,ADE L will creat netlist very slow escpically for big circuit

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by xianweng at 21 Jun 2014 12:07 AM. Topic has 6 replies.