Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Custom coil design

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Custom coil design 

Last post Sat, May 24 2014 4:26 AM by Quek. 1 replies.
Started by apaj 22 Apr 2014 05:46 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 206 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:46 AM

• apaj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 7 2012
    • Posts 27
    • Points 450
    Custom coil design Reply

Hello.

We would like to try to create a coil of a different topology for a given technology. In other words, the technology I am working with offers a regular spiral inductor. We are interested to see how would a coil of different metal structure behave. 

Is there a way for me to draw something in Layout XL and than make it a new device? I.e. to define this layout as a component, asign a symbol to it and then use it in Schematic - so that LVS has no problems with it?

Also, what is your oppinion - I will not hold anyone responsible, I am just asking for an oppinion - should the other layers of an existing coil be copied or should I just draw in a metal layer what I want the coil to look like and then put pads around it?

Best regards.

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, May 24 2014 4:26 AM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,060
    • Points 16,110
    Re: Custom coil design Reply

Hi apaj

I think you can do it as follows:
    a. Draw the new structure in Virtuoso layout editor. E.g. currently you have a spiral inductor. You can can draw a rectangular inductor. There is no special function to do this so you will have to either use SKILL or draw it manually using the basic functions such as create-path/wire.

b. Re-use the same symbol for the spiral inductor. Since the pins should remain the same, there is no need to re-create the symbol

c. If it is necessary, modify LVS rules to extract the new inductor. It is possible that the original rules for the spiral inductor might not work for the new structure as it may detect the inductor recognition layer based on the shape.

Best regards
    Quek

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by apaj at 22 Apr 2014 05:46 AM. Topic has 1 replies.