Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Phase Noise Simulations of Frequency Multipliers Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Phase Noise Simulations of Frequency Multipliers Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise 

Last post Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:26 AM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by dsawyer 01 Apr 2014 08:28 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 1545 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Apr 1 2014 8:28 AM

• dsawyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 9 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Phase Noise Simulations of Frequency Multipliers Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise Reply

Hello All,

I have simulated the phase noise of frequency dividers in the past numerous times using the method defined in Chapter 6 of "Predicting the Phase Noise and Jitter of PLL-Based Frequency Synthesizers" by Ken Kundert.

I believe that I could use the same method to run the phase noise on a frequency multiplier, but I'm having trouble finding a reference.  Do you have experience running phase noise simulations on frequency multipliers, or know of a reference?  Am I running the multiplier phase noise correctly?

I'm basically following the directions as described in the frequency divider chapter (Chapter 6) with a couple changes.  I'm doubling a 100MHz input to a 200MHz output.  The beat frequency is 100MHz, and I'm doing a relative sweeptype in pnoise and looking at the noise at the 2nd harmonic.  Other than that, I believe the method is the same.  I define a zero crossing in pnoise and look at the noise there.  From there, I calculate the phase noise from the output frequency, the slew rate at the zero crossing, and the zero-crossing noise.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Dave

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:26 AM

Re: Phase Noise Simulations of Frequency Multipliers Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise Reply

Yes, this should work (rather belated reply).

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by dsawyer at 01 Apr 2014 08:28 AM. Topic has 1 replies.