Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > What's the difference between Incisive_Enterprise_Simulator and Incisive_HDL_Simulator?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

What's the difference between Incisive_Enterprise_Simulator and Incisive_HDL_Simulator? 

Last post Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:17 AM by StephenH. 1 replies.
Started by monkeyking 06 Jan 2014 06:56 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 4726 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:56 PM

• monkeyking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 11 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 145
    What's the difference between Incisive_Enterprise_Simulator and Incisive_HDL_Simulator? Reply

When I run RTL simulation by irun which is mainly composed of verilog and systemverilog code, sometimes it use Incisive_Enterprise_Simulator, sometimes it use Incisive_HDL_Simulator. So ,can someone tell me what's the difference of these two simulators? Why some simulation testbench should use IES, but some other testbench use  Incisive_HDL_Simulator?

I have just met a problem: when I run a test with irun command, it's queuing for one of the following license(s) -  Incisive_Enterprise_Simulator. But at this time there is a free license of Incisive_HDL_Simulator. Why not use Incisive_HDL_Simulator, but waiting for IES license? It seems some simulation can only be performed by IES? Am I right?

Thanks!

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:17 AM

• StephenH
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 2 2008
    • Bristol, Avon
    • Posts 268
    • Points 4,310
    Re: What's the difference between Incisive_Enterprise_Simulator and Incisive_HDL_Simulator? Reply

Incisive HDL Simulator is an old licence option that, if I remember correctly, enabled SystemVerilog RTL features but not SystemVerilog testbench features, so depending on which exact SV constructs you use it may require the Enterprise Simulator (IES-XL) licence.

If you pass the "-uselic IHS:IES" option to irun or ncsim, it will try the HDL Simulator licence first, then the Enterprise one. Also, if your design contains features that aren't enabled by HDL Simulator, the simulator will print a list of the reasons why you can't use the HDL licence.

If you need to dig into more detail you might be better off filing a support request at http://support.cadence.com/ so that one of the hotline team can go into more detail with you.

Steve Hobbs / Applications Engineer / Cadence Functional Verification
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by monkeyking at 06 Jan 2014 06:56 PM. Topic has 1 replies.