Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > I had doubt on Micro strip Interconnect ?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

I had doubt on Micro strip Interconnect ? 

Last post Mon, Dec 23 2013 2:56 AM by Dhamodharann. 2 replies.
Started by Dhamodharann 10 Dec 2013 01:28 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1677 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 10 2013 1:28 AM

• Dhamodharann
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 4 2012
    • Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,775
    I had doubt on Micro strip Interconnect ? Reply

Hi,

I had started to learn the Sig Explorer on cadence. I had an idea on the losses and other terminology used in the signal analysis. I had simulated an basic RLC network with the IO pulse as Input and IO tristate as Output side and intermediately the Dummy Probe had kept and the losses calculated.

But When i want to simulate the RLC network with far network and near network, i had inserted the micro strip in between the two networks. An sample tuto had explained some of the things with micro strip, but my question is in case of any micro strip is inserted the losses at the output side will be more or less?

Then micro strip parameters are represented as Impedance and PropDelay, trace geometry , velocity.

What is the prop delay and Velocity?

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 6:52 AM

• Mike Veal
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • Posts 29
    • Points 565
    Re: I had doubt on Micro strip Interconnect ? Reply

You need to study some transmission line theory. I'm feeling generous, normally with a question like this, I'd just post a link to your local university, instead here are the basics...

When you push an electron into a wire, another doesn't pop out of the other end instantly. There is a small delay.

The velocity of a microstrip structure on FR4  is *about* 180ps/inch.

So if your microstrip transmission line is 1 inch long, and you apply a 0-1V step at one end of the line at t=0s, you'll see that step appear at the other end at t=180ps.

You really need a book. It's a big subject.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 23 2013 2:56 AM

• Dhamodharann
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 4 2012
    • Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,775
    Re: I had doubt on Micro strip Interconnect ? Reply

Thanks mike..

Now only had started to learn about the microstrip lines with signal explorer.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Dhamodharann at 10 Dec 2013 01:28 AM. Topic has 2 replies.