Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Importing Complete Designs as Subdrawings

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Importing Complete Designs as Subdrawings 

Last post Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:47 AM by B Price. 1 replies.
Started by Rick T 14 Nov 2013 03:33 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 1500 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 14 2013 3:33 PM

• Rick T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 8 2010
    • Posts 8
    • Points 230
    Importing Complete Designs as Subdrawings Reply

All,

I am looking to be able to save a complete design as a sub drawing and reimport it into either the same drawing or merge two or more seperate drawings to make a mixed panel. On these designs I will have components that have some of the same reference designators and nets. So far I have been unsuccessful in doing this and having reference desinators and nets export/import properly.  The reference designators will be #REFDS* regardless of what options I choose when saving and importing the subdrawing.

As a note I am turning on all of the layers (Class & Subclass) before making the selection for the subdrawing and all of the designs will have the same Class & Subclasses present. I am also using the latest Allegro PCB Designer 16.6.

Thanks for the assistance a head of time.

~Rick

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:47 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Re: Importing Complete Designs as Subdrawings Reply

I have a similar case where a large portion of a design is repeated in other designs.

I found the best way is to use the existing .BRD design as the Input Board File when creating the netlist for a new design in Capture. This way, the new design will automatically inherit the matching components. The down side is that you end up with some excess shapes/traces that are no longer needed and you'll probably need to manually delete them.

Perhaps you can make a dedicated .BRD file with only the repeated design pieces?

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Rick T at 14 Nov 2013 03:33 PM. Topic has 1 replies.