Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Global relief settings

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Global relief settings 

Last post Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:23 AM by KEN13. 8 replies.
Started by KEN13 25 Sep 2013 12:58 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 806 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Sep 25 2013 12:58 PM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800
    Global relief settings Reply

Good afternoon,

Under the Design Parameter Editor / Edit global dynamic shape parameters / Thermal reilef connects, I select the button for 'Use thermal width oversize of:' and set it to "0" so that my thermial reliefs will use the width I enter in the constraint manager.  However, after I select the OK buttons and reopen the window the 'Use fixed thermal width of:' button is selected.  I am guessing there is a setting I must have set, but can not find it. 

Thank you for any help,

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Sep 27 2013 2:20 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200
    Re: Global relief settings Reply

If you just leave the defaults the width of the thermal relief connects use the min line spacing width from Constraint Manager. No special settings required.

• Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:54 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

Steve,

What defaults are you refering to?

If I draw a shape, open the parameters for that shape and select "Use fixed thermal width of:"...set it to 10, then the shape will have a thermal relief of 10.  If I select "Use thermal width oversize of:" and set it to 0 then the thermal relief will be what is set in the constraint manager for the min line width.   If I select "Use thermal width oversize of:" and set it to 5 then the thermal relief will be what is set in the constraint manager plus 5. I believe I understand all of this correctly,

My problem...Under the Setup / Design Parameter Editor / Edit global dynamic shape parameters / Thermal relief connects...if I use "Use thermal width oversize of:" " and set it to 0, then I would expect any dynamic shape I place would use a thermal relief equal to the minimum line width set in the constraint manager, same as when I select the shape parameters,  but this should set it globally so I do not have to edit the parameters for all the shapes I use.  However when, I select the "Use thermal width oversize of:", it is not keeping that button checked.  I select OK and OK.  When I reopen the windows the button for "Use fixed thermal width of:" is selected.  I am hoping it is just a setting I have accidentally set somewhere else or a small bug in the software, that may be fixed already and will be fixed for me when the software is updated.

• Fri, Sep 27 2013 7:03 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

It stores the setting you mention for me without issue so always starts with "use thermal width oversize of.." What version are you running (mine is 16.6 S015). One thing to try close Allegro and locate your pcbenv folder and rename it to pcbenv_old then restart, what happens now ? There might be a variable stored in your env file that is setting this...

• Mon, Sep 30 2013 5:35 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

Good morning Steve,

I have 16.5 S025 and the reason it is not up to date is I still have old files in Layout which I may need and the last time the software was updated it was not easy to get Layout back up and working.  Could you please give me an idea where the file may be?  I have searched my computer and can not seem to find it.  Thanks for the help.

• Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:34 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

Not sure why 16.5 S025 is specific for OrCAD Layout. If you have 16.2 installed OrCAD Layout will run using the PCB Designer license from 16.6. Ideally have 16.2 then 16.3, 16.5, 16.6 installed in that order which should stop any problems you may have with the switch release etc

Anyway the env file is stored in %HOME%\pcbenv folder where %HOME% is normally C:\SPB_Data (if you left the defaults from the installation). You can type %HOME% in the address bar of windows explorer and then hit return to be taken to that directory location or look at your environment settings for HOME.

• Mon, Sep 30 2013 7:27 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

Update...finally found the folder, but unfortunately renaming it did not work. When I did as you suggest and open PCB Editor...the "Use thermal width oversize of: is selected.  If I select "Use fixed thermal width of:" and select OK, it remembers the change.  Now I reopen the parameters and select  "Use thermal width oversize of:" then select OK, it does not remember, and defaults back to "Use fixed thermal width of:" Yet if I close(without saving) and reopen the program it is back at "Use thermal width oversize of:"   Once I save the file all bets are off once "Use fixed thermal width of:" is selected.

• Mon, Sep 30 2013 7:53 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

Hi Ken - I was trying 16.6 S016 but I've also tried 16.5 S045 and it works for me. It might be worth while going to a later hotfix and see if that helps.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:23 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

Steve,

Thanks for all the help.  I'll probably have the IT guy update to the latest software and see if he can still get Layout to work...He said with the new release and windows 7 that Layout won't work.  In order to get them both to work at the same time, as they do now, I had to mess around with a bunch of stuff I know little about and by some miracle got it to work. 

Thank you,

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by KEN13 at 25 Sep 2013 12:58 PM. Topic has 8 replies.